SIX

EMMERSON

Emmerson 10

Stoic 15

THE JOKE WAS ON HIM. Stoic got grounded. It was about time Uncle and Auntie put a leash on the wild dog. Stoic was grounded for about three months. Everyone tried to help fix what he had done. My mom made a nice dinner for Amelia's family as an apology. Uncle Erik gave them two free metalwork jobs as compensation that he made Stoic do by himself, and Auntie Ida helped Landon with the medical stuff. My dad didn't do anything. For some reason, he sided with Stoic, and so did Kenzo. But that was not a surprise—Kenzo and Stoic always had each other's backs.

Stoic did break two of Landon's teeth and his jaw. Landon looked funny without them for a while, but then Auntie Ida helped him get them replaced. He had a bandage wrapped around his head for a long time. With that said, Dickface was not allowed anywhere near Landon.

During the time he was grounded, Stoic picked up a new hobby. He was already good at making things out of wood, but this time, he was not making them for me but for exchanging. He started learning with an experienced carpenter and worked for him during the weekends. He was good. The furniture he made was surprisingly nice. Dad told me he was working on a new bed for me since I was growing so fast. I bet that would be my fall gift.

That winter was colder than usual. The snow covered everything, and we were stranded at home for most of it. Dad, Kenzo, Stoic, and Uncle Erik reinforced the roofs of both of our houses to make sure they would hold up for another strong winter like the last one. Ethan was not a muscle or hands-on kind of guy. Ethan has started to become more interested in studies, math, and books. I was sure he would be one of those people who would go for a long education and become a "professional," like an engineer or a doctor.

It was July, and Amelia's birthday was today. She was turning eleven. For some reason, Amelia decided to keep being my best friend. I was so happy she didn't abandon me. We were the best of friends, and we were growing closer and closer every day.

Her moms made a birthday lunch for her and invited us. Dad and Kenzo were busy helping Stoic and Uncle Erik do something, so it was just Mom, Ethan, and me.

For some reason, funny, silly Ethan was always super quiet when he was near my friend. Maybe he didn't like her. He never talked to her. Not even when she spoke to him. Nevertheless, he always tagged along with us. He was spending a lot of his time around us.

"Hey, Emmy!" I heard Landon call me with a big smile. I was glad he didn't hate me. He never put his arms around me again, though. I was kind of glad about that.

"Hey, you!" I ran to him, stopping abruptly once I was close enough. Ethan followed me. "Where's the birthday girl?" I couldn't wait to see her. I made her a gift all by myself, and I couldn't wait to give it to her.

"She's in the backyard. Come, I'll take you there." Landon pointed at the backyard, and Ethan and I walked behind him. Mom stayed behind and talked to Ana, one of Amelia's moms. Amelia's backyard was much like mine but with more trees. It was a hot sunny day, but the tall trees made the perfect amount of shade.

"Amelia!" I let out a squeal and ran to her. As soon as I got to her, we gave each other a huge, bone-crushing hug. "I got you something!" I sang, doing a little dance as I gave her the small box.

"What is it?" She shook the box with both hands.

"You'll have to open it to find out..." I sang it again. We chuckled, and she sat on the grass with the box.