EIGHT

EMMERSON

Emmerson 13

Stoic 18

MY BODY WAS SERIOUSLY CHANGING. My breasts kept growing, and I had to start using a training bra. My hips were getting some curves to them, and my butt was getting rounder. Also, hair started growing in areas where I didn't want it. I was going to start shaving soon.

About three weeks ago, I got my first period. I was not expecting it to be so painful and messy.

Once, Stoic saw me lying around and in a lot of pain, and he got worried. He thought I was sick, so I had to tell him what was happening. But instead of getting grossed out and running away from me like I thought he would, he pulled me in for a big hug. Weirdo!

Stoic told me that he was sorry I was in pain but that this was a special thing we should be happy about. He said that one day I'd be able to create a life. Stoic sat me on his lap, held me in his arms, and hugged me for a long while. He rubbed my belly with his warm hands, and that sort of did make me feel better. He seemed oddly happy, and since I was in pain and tired, I didn't even question him. I just let him be. He did help me feel better, after all.

"East or north?" Another stupid question. He never stopped asking them.

"Northeast," I said while resting my head on his chest. Stoic rubbed my belly until I fell asleep, and then he took me to my room and left me there.

I knew he was busier than ever now that he and Kenzo were about to leave. Even though, Stoic still followed me around whenever he could, which was kind of annoying sometimes. I knew exactly how to get back at him and make him disappear. Whenever I wanted to talk to Amelia in private while Stoic was lingering around, all I had to do was start saying "my vagina" out loud, and he would get tomato red and get lost. Worked every time.

Yesterday, Kenzo and Stoic started to prepare to leave. They would leave and not come back for three years. I made them gifts. It took me a really long time to get them done as I had made backpacks. Kenzo's was green, and Stoic's was black. I made sure to put lots of pockets and zippers in them. I reinforced them and made them impermeable. Mom helped me. I hope they lasted for a long time. Inside Stoic's backpack, I put many tags with my name on them. If any girls saw it, they would know to stay away. Stoic wouldn't like any of them, anyway.

I packed snacks and essentials inside the backpack, too, like toothbrushes, matches, and a water can. I asked Dad and Uncle Erik for knives, so I could put them in, too, and they made them for me. I gave them a drawing of how I wanted the knives to look, and they tried their best to copy it. They turned out to be super cool. They were not that big, but they had an incredible curve to them. The handle of Kenzo's had his initials "K.S." Stoic's knife had ours, "S&E." Uncle Erik wrote "Góðr" on the other side of the handle, too, but I didn't know what it meant. Mom made them leather protective pockets, as they were very sharp.

The day before their departure, we all had dinner together. It was an odd dinner. Nobody really talked much. At times, I could see all the adults trying to be cheerful, but Kenzo and Stoic didn't look too excited about leaving. Especially Stoic, he looked miserable.

I gave them their backpacks, and they both loved them. I wanted to show all the things we had put inside, but as soon as Stoic saw the knife, he grabbed it and the backpack, stood up, and left the house before I could show him the rest of the things. Rude much! Uncle Erik, Kenzo, and Dad followed him, and they didn't return until more than half an hour later. By the time they were back, the rest of us were almost done with dessert.

Stoic decided to stay at home with us that night, so he could leave together with Kenzo in the morning. He slept with me in my bed. I didn't think he rested much because he looked like shit in the morning. His eyes were red, and he was even paler than his usual self.

We all walked them to the train station to say our goodbyes. Many other families were there as well. For some reason, everyone was overly sentimental. Kenzo's eyes were glassy, and Mom and Dad cried while hugging him. Uncle Erik and Auntie Ida were crying and embracing Stoic too. I thought they were all overreacting. Leave it to the grownups to be the dramatic ones. Three years would pass fast, and before we knew it, they would be back.

As I saw it, the worst thing about the northern border was the cold. I had heard from some people who had come back that it was an incredibly boring and tedious job. Mostly guarding a fence with a walkie-talkie in the cold. Others said they moved boxes and stuff.

Kenzo pulled Ethan and me in for a big hug and told us to be good for Mom and Dad. He kissed us and put his backpack on his shoulders. I saw from over Kenzo's shoulder that Stoic was hugging my parents goodbye.

Once Kenzo stepped back, Stoic stood in front of us and pulled Ethan in for a hug. He said something to him that I couldn't hear, and Ethan nodded. In two years, it would be Ethan who would be leaving. He would start his training soon, but he wouldn't have to travel as Kenzo and Stoic did. He was to be in a regular camp, so he'd be at home. Once he was 18, he would go to the north just like Kenzo and Stoic were about to do.

Once he was done hugging Ethan, Ethan left, and everyone stepped far away from Stoic and me.

Stoic got down on one knee and hugged me tightly. I could feel his tears rolling down the side of my face.

"There, there. It's going to be okay. Time goes fast, you'll see." I patted his back and hugged him back.

What a big baby.

"Emmy, do you remember your boomerang?" He held my face in his hands and looked into my eyes. His eyes were still red.

"Yeah, why?"

"I'm like that boomerang, Emmy; I'll always come back to you, OK." Oh! I got it. I didn't know Stoic would give this much thought to anything. Was that a coincidence? That was kind of cool of him.

He kissed me hard on my head, stood up, grabbed his backpack with one hand, and walked away. He kept his back to me and got on the train without looking back, not even once. Kenzo stood at the train's entrance and waved bye to us. Soon the train doors closed, and the train started moving. We all stood there looking as it disappeared into the distance.

Just like that, they were gone.

I'd miss their stupid faces, but they would be back.

He'd always come back.

A/N Feel free to leave a comment. I absolutely love reading all your thoughts and reactions! If you enjoyed this chapter, please don't forget to give it a star ⭐️. Thanks!