CHAPTER THIRTEEN. Thy Sin is Purged

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter includes mature material including torture and religious punishment/forcing a religion. Please read at your own risk. You've been warned.

GUEST CAST
Alfred Enoch as Seafret Jackson
Louis Garrel as Ezra
Edward Norton as Macauley Myatt/"The Man"

GUEST CAST Alfred Enoch as Seafret JacksonLouis Garrel as Ezra Edward Norton as Macauley Myatt/"The Man"

THE FALLACIOUS INCRIMINATION OF ARIZONA ADAMS
XIII. Thy Sin is Purged 

The Rusnak Church
Aurora, Oregon
January 9, 1994
8:12 AM

You would think that with five siblings you would never get lonely, but somehow, that's all August felt.

He was sure that his siblings didn't like him that much, and that they only tolerated him enough to include him in the family gatherings. But that didn't stop them from kicking his legs under the table when he was out of line. Sometimes, he didn't get it; Lavender spoke out of line too, but no one kicked her shins. Maybe it was because she said it eloquently, and he didn't.

Arizona seemed to be the only one to enjoy his presence, but he didn't mind, because he liked her presence, he didn't care for the others.

But now, as he sits in the bunker underneath the church, where his siblings are praying, he wishes to be annoyed by their volume. As he heard Macauley preach to the masses, he was praying himself; he prayed to see Arizona's smile or hear Sunflower's humming to get him to fall asleep. Because he hadn't been sleeping, no, Macauley didn't give him that satisfaction. He pulls a small blanket over his shoulders, finding a small amount of comfort in hearing the voices above him.

He's not sure how long he's been in here, but he can only assume by the number of times he has heard Macauley preach, it had been 3 weeks. 3 weeks of isolation and torture. He used to be sure that if separated from his family, he wouldn't mind. But now, he sees that he was wrong.

He smiles, however, trying to make a joke about his situation. In some cruel way, he thought, he deserved it, even though he knew he did nothing wrong.

"August?" A voice asked.

"Hmm?" He hummed playing with the loose strings of the blanket. Was he turning into his sister? Hearing the voices of people who weren't there?

"August!" The voice says, sounding angry.

August finally looks up from the blanket, the sociopathic smile fading as he sees Seafret and another man standing next to him.

Seafret was just as tall as August remembered him to be, or maybe taller. But he couldn't be sure, because, after 3 weeks, things became a little foggy to him. Seafret looked at him with a small smile, but his eyes didn't match. It almost looked like he was scared of him.