Three: Welcome

"You are late Ms. Bethany. I do not stand for tardiness, especially when it interferes with my schedule." A grumpy, tall, old women answered the door. 

She stepped out of the way to let me walk in. I quickly stepped inside setting my luggage to the side. I looked at the women who stood a foot taller than me. She stood straight and very stiffly. Her hair completely gray, and was pulled into a tight bun that almost looked painful. She wore a long black dress, almost like she got back from a funeral but she wore a white apron to extinguish she was the maid, I guess. 

"You were supposed to be here 45 minutes ago. I'm already staying here late for you Ms. Bethany. I like to be out of here at 8:30 sharp. Breakfast will be at 7:30 in the morning if you're late you don't eat. I will show you to your room and I will be taking my leave." She said before turning and walking over to the stairs.

"Please don't call me Bethany, I prefer Presley." I said trying to start a conversation, but it was lead by silence. "So uh what's your name?"

"I'm Mrs. Hancock, I'm the head housekeeper. Mr. Hancock is already home, he is the groundskeeper." She said as I followed her lead up the stairs.

'She's a cold women,' I thought to myself as I followed behind her.

I took the chance to look around a little bit. Everything is made of oak and marble. Portraits of people I've never seen before hung on the wall. The carpet is a ruby red, and stained glass laid above most of the windows. This house looked to have been built in the 1800's. 

"I do not have all night Ms. Bethany. As I said before, I like to be home by 8:30." She turned away from me and I heard her say something underneath her breath.

"I'm sorry I didn't catch that." I said catching up to her.

"Please Ms. Bethany I do not like repeating myself and I have already done it once." She said very shortly, turning along the staircase.

I went to say something, but decided against it. Instead just looking around the house as we walked by. It felt like we walked up the stairs for an eternity. Finally getting to the third floor, Mrs. Hancock turned to me. I saw a small smirk draw on her face when she saw I was out of breath. But as quickly as I saw it, the smile was gone. 

'The wicked witch can smile!' I smiled to myself.

She turned back around and walked down the hallway. She finally stopped in front of a door opening it. I watched Mrs. Hancock look around the room, almost like she was looking for someone to be in there. I wanted to ask her what she was doing, but Mrs. Hancock then pushed herself through the door. I knitted my eyebrows trying to decided if I should say anything or not. Deciding on the latter, I shake my head and follow her in.

Walking into the room was a king sized four poster bed. The bedding was a ruby red and covered in pillows. Looking to the left is a fireplace with a woman's picture hanging over it. On the left of the fireplace is a bathroom. From what I could see it was covered in whited tile, and the shower curtain was white. It was weird to see something that was so white, compared to the reds and browns this house is made of.

"This is your grandmother's old room, before she passed." Mrs. Hancock said walking over to the fireplace. "That's her, of course when she was younger." 

"Not to be insensitive, but did she die in here?" I asked looking at the bed.

Mrs. Hancock didn't say anything at first. She just continued to make the fire. As soon as she got the fire lite she stood up straight again. She dusted her hands on her apron, then walked over to me. 

"Yes, Ms. Bethany. She had a heart attack in her sleep in the bed that's been replaced, by your aunt." She said walking over to the door.

"Okay, well can't I get one of the other rooms? I mean there is like a million in here." I said looking around the room getting a little bit of a creepy vibe.