Chapter 20

Nagan raised his hand in time to cast a barrier above them, blocking the rubble raining down upon them

Nagan raised his hand in time to cast a barrier above them, blocking the rubble raining down upon them. Aitor lowered Milora to the ground with shaky hands as gently as he could. Directly above them, they could hear the cries of Dockard as he desperately tried to reach his mistress.

"W-What h-h-happened?! Is she — she —" Aitor took a deep breath. "Is she ok?"

Nagan took a second to process what Aitor said, focusing his efforts on reinforcing the barrier as a larger branch fell. From the corner of his eye, he spotted Az and another medic, Khon, descending towards them on Kint who carefully crawled down the trunk of a larger tree, not daring to fly. "Go get Fai, then Nurse Marvi."

A quick nod and Gossamer flashed out of sight, the humming of her wings fading away. He heard a thud from his right and running footsteps approaching. Khon tapped his shoulder, signaling him to hand control of the barrier. Red rapidly waned to blue.

"What do you need me to do?" Nagan asked Az who was now kneeling next to Milora, his fingers hovering just above her brow with a green glow.

"Transfer," was all Az said.

Without another word, Nagan muttered the delicate incantation — he didn't trust himself to be focused enough to do it non-verbally — and placed his hand firmly between Az's shoulder blades as a red glare pulsed intermittently. Az flinched at it but didn't comment on the harshness. They both knew Nagan's magic was much more erratic and intense, even for a drakon, but Nagan tried to steady the flow regardless. It was proving to be more challenging as roars, shouts, and cracks continued to sound from above them.

"What's the situation up top?" Nagan asked, not able to tune out the noise. A particularly sharp throb of magic pushed through Az's circuits at Nagan's momentary lapse of concentration, and he hissed back at him to focus. Nagan quickly complied, the stream steadying once again.

"The last I saw was Carthadeus, Gath, and Iridella trying to calm or restrain Dockard," Khon replied. "I think other dragon experts were heading over to help, too, and I'm sure there are other medics heading down here."

"Good," Az said, moving his other hand to Milora's sternum. Another restless jump in energy, and Az sighed. "I'm monitoring her heart and keeping the swelling down in her head. Concussion, bruising, and a possible broken right leg, judging by the amount of blood clotting I'm detecting. It's best not to move her until Nurse Marvi gets here."

"But she'll be ok?"

"Nothing I haven't trained for," Az replied confidently. "But keep quiet and focus."

Nagan shut his mouth with a click. Luckily for Az, other medics soon began to arrive through the trees, having landed in a clearing farther away. Nagan willingly stepped away as one of them came forward to take over the transfer. Elvas were much better suited for these sort of delicate tasks than a drakon. Even dwarns were more preferred. No longer needed, he jogged up to Ravi and quickly mounted her.