Chapter 3

The moment Nagan stepped back into Carvolier Castle, he noticed the change. The castle's hum felt shakier. Uneven. Almost nervous-like. As if it knew what was happening and knew why students were coming back.

Back at the villa, Nagan swore he saw the tension in the room. It was after both he and Az were served tea did Aunt Cilara ask them an unnerving question: If they wanted to return to Carvolier. Almost instantly Nagan agreed. Carvolier was like a sanctuary for him. The first place he could call safe in years. Yet his heart sank as Master Dagmire explained why he was invited back. He still agreed; it was almost his duty to return, but he couldn't look Aunt Cilara in the eyes as he said it.

He was surprised when the same invitation was extended to Az. Aunt Cilara looked as if she wanted to vehemently deny him of it, yet she said nothing. Timidly, Az voiced his want to come, but he also couldn't look his mother in the eyes as he said it.

They both watched uncomfortably from the corners of their eyes as the feared Madam Arcloven resigned to the idea and asked when they were expected to arrive. Master Dagmire told them to be ready to leave as soon as possible, and they were sent to packing so they could leave after dinner. Nagan was used to being uprooted at a moment's notice, but even now it felt strange as he gathered his things. Nothing felt right, but things haven't been right for a while now.

As both boys stood at the door, their luggage and dragon eggs already sent off to Carvolier and Florine sent to bed after saying her teary goodbyes, they were surprised when they were pulled back and enveloped into a hug. Naturally, Az returned the embrace, but it took longer for Nagan to react. Never had either of the older Arclovens initiated more contact than a pat on the shoulder or a hand on his head before with him, but the action was far from unwelcomed. Luckily Madam Arcloven didn't need to stoop as far down since both boys had recent growth spurts.

"Be safe, you two," she whispered to them before stepping back, her eyes hard but suspiciously watery.

The boys followed Master Dagmire to the edge of the magic barrier so he could activate the swirling hole of displeasure. At least it linked to the main gate, so he was still able to stand after passing through.

Now standing in the Great Hall -- Master Dagmire had left long ago saying he had to report to the Council -- Nagan understood why the humming was more agitated than usual.

There was barely a fraction of Carvolier's usual student body milling about in the hall, maybe just reaching a hundred, and even fewer parents who stood at the sides talking amongst themselves. The usual seating hadn't been raised. Instead, it was an open space with the platform at the end. It felt even emptier like this.

At first, Nagan thought the lack of students was because of a high standard, but all he needed was a good look around the room to know that was not true.

None of the young Dragonmages present were undeserving of the invitation, but there was an obvious lack of a pompous air. Barely any children from a higher family were there. Just Az, himself, and a handful of others.

A conversation to his left drew his attention, and he was surprised to see Master Honoria with Carthadeus standing just behind him. The older boy stood straight and seemed to be bored, but Nagan could tell by the way his eyes shifted warily that he was hiding his nervousness. He edged as close as he dared.

"I barely got my wife to agree to this, but my son was eager to join," the other man ambled to Master Honoria. "But it's a real honor."

"I can't agree more," Master Honoria replied before gesturing to Carthadeus. "My son is my pride and joy as is, but you would have to be a fool to deny this opportunity for recognition. We Honorias didn't become the superior drakons while sitting idly! Or our name wouldn't have honor written into it!"

Both men laughed heartily while Carthadeus looked uncomfortable with the whole exchange. It was obvious he wasn't here by choice. Nagan almost felt bad for him.

Carthadeus must have felt Nagan's stare and caught his gaze. He sneered before turning away, folding his arms defensively. Well then.

"May I have your attention."

A firm voice echoed through the hall, and Nagan turned to see Professor Fai standing at the podium. Since it seemed Master Dagmire could no longer serve as headmaster, it made sense for the combat professor to be in charge of training a quasi-army.

"I won't waste your time with pleasantries." Typical of Professor Fai. "Everyone, please stand near the sides."

It took a bit of shifting and even more prodding before Professor Fai thought their efforts satisfactory enough. He signaled to Professor Ximor, the incantations professor, and she stepped near the edge of the platform. In seconds four colored flares lit up in a neat line, and floating symbols decorated the air. Red, black, green, and blue.

"These will be your new categorization, depending on your chosen field rather than your base magic type," Professor Fai explained before starting with the red symbol. "Combat, stealth, medic, and messenger. As your training progresses, you will be grouped into teams that will ideally hold one of each category as well as one of each base magic type. For now, stand under the symbol of your assigned category when called."

It wasn't long until Az's name was called.

"Icarion Arcloven, you have been assigned to medics for your field as a potion expert. You will also be assigned additional combat classes to make use of your infiniti abilities." Az stood under the green symbol, and more names were called before he heard his.

"Nagania Elvar, you have been assigned to stealth for your field as a caster. You would have been assigned to combat since you are also a combat expert, but your worth as a Time Mage was thought to be more helpful in the area of stealth. You will be assigned additional combat classes nonetheless." Nagan stood under the black symbol and couldn't help but glance at Master Honoria. He had a satisfactory smile on his face which made Nagan immediately look back at Professor Fai. More names were listed.

"Carthadeus Honoria, you have been assigned to combat for your field as a chanter, rune drawer, and dragon expert. You are assigned additional stealth classes by request." Carthadeus stood under the red symbol but looked as if he wanted to be anywhere except there.

Yet despite his son being called forward, Master Honoria continued to glance at Nagan almost schemingly, same as other councilmen to various students. That was when it clicked, and Nagan shot a glance at Az who caught it easily with a nod of confirmation. They were thinking the same thing.

The odd conversations at Turn of the Year were not coincidences, just as they suspected. It was the moment they were selected to join the emergency army.