Chapter 5. | These days

HARRY

You'd expect Harry to love his job having watched movies like 13 going on 30 and The Devil Wears Prada. Working for a fashion magazine in a big city- it should be a dream come true! The huge table in the meeting room surrounded by windows that faced skyscrapers was always exciting to be in, but it felt out of place. He was no doubt grateful for Kendall landing him the job, it's one of the biggest things she'd ever done for him. He wasn't even half as qualified for the job as his colleagues.

There wasn't a specific job title for Harry, he just helped with what he could. He wasn't close to many of his coworkers, but he did have one person he could at least rely on. Sam was the copy editor. He and her would proof read anything before it was published. They worked well together. Both kind and well mannered. They did things like bringing each other coffee, giving a heads up when meeting were starting,  helping out with work before their deadlines, and filling each other in on the occasional gossip. Sam wasn't always personable though, she was more reserved which Harry didn't really mind.

Today was much calmer than yesterday, but Harry didn't want to jinx it. He spent his time trying prepare for anything needed to do in the future so things would run smoothly in the long run.

———————————————————————

Meeting on Wednesday, meeting on Wednesday at... 10:30. Bring notes, talk to team about locations, designers, reviews, blah, blah, blah. I start bullet points in my planner and star anything major I have to get done.

I lean back in my chair and try to remember if there's anything else I had to do, fuck it was a busy week. Meetings, schedule planning, on top of that house cleaning. Oh and I'm thinking of buying a bed for the cat to sleep in since it's been staying with me more often- and not getting shooed away. The "Mrs." wouldn't be coming back anytime soon, more like living. Speaking of, I have a fucking ceremony to prepare for.

Thankfully, Kendall has a very particular taste in almost everything. She's got all the planning handled. I've only got one job and its to write my vows... Which shamefully I've been putting off. Gemma told mum everything about my new marriage relationship, I called her to further explain, she wasn't pleased nor was she upset. Just understanding, which was all I could ask for and she wanted to come this time. Kendall and I married on pretty short notice in a different country to which they couldn't attend. My family was practically shattered by that and I've never felt so guilty. This would only make up for half of that.

The vow renewal is in 5 weeks time. I chew the end of my ballpoint and spin around in my seat. It felt off, I mean I never really put logic into this fake wedding renewal- but I don't know. I always imagined I'd get married for real and stay married. Maybe that was asking for too much...

Sam knocked on my desk which shook me out of my trance. She always wore baggy cardigans and sweaters no matter how hot it was in California. She always got leering glances from the other workers who always dressed their best everyday. She couldn't care less though. I looked up to see a smile on her face. "It's your lucky day."

"What? We get to leave early?" I joke, but she wasn't laughing.

She pushed her glasses up her nose bridge. "All
The work from last week paid off, we finished all the stories and interviews we needed! They might even cancel the meeting this week!!" She beamed.

"Holy shit!" I whisper-screamed.

"I know!! What are you doing it's time to get out of this hell hole!"

With that we packed our laptops and binders and dashed to the elevators. It was the first time in a while that we got good news at work. We might've been a little too excited to leave early- we basically ran and smashed the close door button in fear that work would have an excuse to hold us back.

We sighed in relief. "What do you plan on doing when you get home?" I asked.

"Pffft. Watch netflix and snuggle with my cat."

"Oh my god." She raised a brow. "I get to do that now." I realized.

"You have a cat?"

I nodded. We exchanged our love for cats and netflix suggestions- well it was mainly me since I've watched everything basically. We wished each other a day and said goodbye as she stepped out. I still had one more floor to wait for.

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. It just hit me, I haven't thought about Zayn all afternoon. Probably why I got so much work done. It's been hectic on both sides, he's busy and I'm busy. It's been about two months maybe- since we've started seeing each other regularly. Lunch dates, Friday nights, weekends. We usually went out to cafes, restaurants, and parks. And when we aren't together, we texted or called all the time. At work I'd have to clamp my hand over my mouth from laughing at the daily joke, which come randomly into mind. Almost everyday I have a pun ready for him. I also refuse to facetime him sometimes- damn my pale skin. He'd see how red I turn every time he said anything remotely sweet. I wonder what that bastard is doing right now.

I step out of the elevator and into the parking lot. Once I'm in my car I settle in and throw my my stuff in the back seat. A notification pings from my phone, I take it out of my pocket and nearly drop it. Fuck-Was he clairvoyant or what?

I unlock my screen to read his text.