ocean blue eyes

010. CHAPTER TEN
ocean blue eyes

           DECEMBER. The month of family, the month of being together when times are tough. December was such crystalline joy, the sun's brilliant rays that show the uniqueness of every snowflake. It was the time of puddles that became skating rinks and for thoughts to remain cozy within a woollen hat. It was the time when the sunniest of days are warm even in when you can see your breath rise as vapor. It was the days of quiet poetry forming in the soul as if it calls to the spring flowers that will soon blossom.

And Saiorse hated it.

Before everything had happened, she absolutely adored December and Christmas and everything that came with it. She loved the snow, the idea of spending time with family and friends.

Now, she seemed to despise it.

Every day of December felt the same; classes each day, N.E.W.T. studying, the Marauder gaggle finding some impossible way to follow and annoy her, Lily attempting and failing to grab her sister's attention, finishing Slughorn's countless projects, after school lessons with Merrythought.

"Saiorse!"

"Hm?"

"I've been calling your name for the past five minutes." Remus smiled, watching as the girl was picking up air and placing it in the cauldron.

"You were?"

"Yeah, you began to place a quill into the cauldron." He laughed, the girl slapping her cheeks to wake herself up.

"I was thinking about the Defense N.E.W.T." She sighed, looking into the cauldron with a look of confusion. "I know for a fact that Merrythought will skin me if I get anything below an Outstanding, and my brain blanked at the difference between a Grindlylow and a Griphorn."

Remus laughed again, beginning to stir the pot once more. "I'm sure you'll get an O, don't stress about it. I believe James should be the one to worry. He didn't even remember what day Grindelwald rose to power for History of Magic."

"Damn." She laughed. "Thank Merlin that it's the last week of the semester next week. I don't think I can stand another Runes lesson even if I wanted to."

"Students, students!" Slughorn called out. "It is the inevitable, the undoubtable, the most excruciatingly exciting moment of your semester!"

"I seriously doubt that." Saiorse whispered to Remus, the boy trying to hold back laughter as the bombastic teacher started to make weird motions with his hands.

"It's time for me to test your Amortentia!" He announced. Remus pushed the finished potion forward on the desk, both of the students knowing that Slughorn had to be happy with their elixir. They knew it was done right.

"Mr. Lupin, Miss Evans." The cheery professor greeted.

"Professor."

"Please, take the top off of your cauldron."

Remus grabbed the handle of the cap, a tinted steam flowing from the pot, and into Slughorn's face. He breathed the aroma in deeply, a content expression sitting on his features.

"Ah, yes....pumpkin, raspberry jam, the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroo — what was I saying?"

Saiorse had to stifle a snicker, the man subtly, but not so secretly describing the scent of Galatea Merrythought. Remus sent a look her way, both of the students on the verge of explosive laughter.