1: Prologue

All rights to Shondaland.  I just enjoy practicing writing.

Addison's POV

Sometimes it's the people you least expect that end up being the most hurt. I mean they can seem like they have everything in the world and be more miserable than you could imagine. They could have a stellar group of friends, a secure job, they could even have your husband for goodness sake! It doesn't mean they have happiness though. It doesn't mean they're okay.

I should know. I know heartbreak. When Derek left New York he took me with him. Except he didn't. He only took my spirit. For a while I was a shell. A fraction of the woman I used to be. If it wasn't for my friend Violet (who just so happens to be a therapist!) I'd probably still be laying in the bed that Mark took me in, not having changed the sheets, but frozen in my own self inflicted hell hole.

But really. Enough about me. That one was kinda my fault. My legs have since been closed.

I knew something was wrong the second I caught glimpse of her in the corridor. Meredith was hanging off Derek's arm like a dead weight as he guided her through the halls of the hospital, babbling about a fishing trip he went on last year. She would appear to be listening if it wasn't for the glazed look across her pupils that told me she was elsewhere. Her eyes met mine before his, but I didn't receive the scowl I was expecting. Instead her face remained cold, without as much as a twitch at the corners of her evidently chapped lips, contrasting Derek's rosy ones which were soon pursed as we locked eyes.

"Derek. Dr Grey." I greet them politely. No emotion. No hurt. No anger. No sympathy. Remember you owe them nothing Addison.

Dereks face remained steely.

"Dr Montgomery."

Meredith replied meekly. Dropping the arm intertwined with his bicep, she reached out for the chart I had picked up from Nurse Tyler this morning. I assume Bailey told her she was on my service that morning.

"Dr Grey, you'll be delighted to know you're on my service for the foreseeable. The chief seems to think it'll do us good to work together, and besides, you haven't completed an OBGYN rotation, one of the most intense specialties."

She nods, intently flicking through the chart. Good. At least she's intelligent.

I continue. "Any respecting surgeon must be proficient in OBGYN, even if you choose to use your talents for something inferior. Neurosurgery maybe."

"Addison!" Derek begins to butt in, knowing I'm rilling him up on purpose, but he's dragged away by a 911 page and leaves with a final scowl sent in my direction.

"Dr Montgomery, I can assure you, I haven't decided a specialty and my options are open. I'm happy to do a rotation with you."

"You don't seem that happy Dr Grey. If you're going to fake a smile at least make sure it reaches your eyes!"

I didn't want to say that to her. I wanted to ask if she was okay. But instead I turned on my heel and went to rounds. She scurried behind me.