♛chapter four

The immense dining table was more crowded than usual, Taehyung duly noted when he arrived there ten minutes later than everyone present and took a seat on his father's left, facing directly across from Namjoon on his right, who he gave a courteous nod of his head. He made it his mission that throughout this dinner, he would ignore the fact that Jeongguk was seated right next to him, and he'd pretend he wasn't even there after what happened earlier.

He didn't know if he decided to do that from embarrassment or from pettiness. One thing he was sure of is that they weren't on the best of terms and he wasn't in the mood to make small talk. 

Taehyung also noticed that Hoseok, Hyung-woo's most trusted advisor was there too next to Namjoon, a bright smile on his face while he was chatting with Yoongi, the leader of the royal cavalry. The brunette frowned at his presence since he was usually eating with the staff in the kitchen. A personal preference, he claimed.

Two other unknown persons were present too. Taehyung figured they were a part of Jeongguk's personnel, probably his advisers. 

Taehyung's body stiffened when he felt Jeongguk shift a little in his chair, bringing his head closer to Taehyung's so he could whisper right into his ear, "I liked the blush on your face, sneaky one. Where did it go? Can I make it come back?" The raven-haired teased, a chuckle escaping his lips when he noticed Taehyung's cheeks flaming up once more.

"Do you think this is funny?" Taehyung retaliated, turning to him with an incredulous expression on his face. He had enough of this boy playing with him as he desired. It was time Taehyung gave him a piece of his own mind. "I don't know what you're playing at or what you were whispering about with your servant back there, but I suggest you knock it off before you get burned."

It was Jeongguk's turn to be taken by surprise. He gulped, pocking the interior of his cheek with his tongue and placing his napkin on the table. "Did I not tell you not to meddle in my business?"

"Sorry, but your business kinda effects me since you're plotting around in my kingdom."

Jeongguk suppressed a laugh and Taehyung wanted to wipe the smirk off his flawless face. "Your kingdom? And here I was thinking it's your brother's kingdom since, you know, you won't be taking the throne." He made a fake sad face, enjoying seeing Taehyung so flustered.

Taehyung opened his mouth like a fish in the water, totally speechless. Who did this boy think he was?

"Listen here, Jeongguk, you may have fooled them, but I'm not so dumb as to believe your fictional motive. Trying to make peace, really? Your kingdom doesn't make peace, it just terrorizes innocent people they were supposed to protect!" He raised his voice in a mock scream, actually using the information his father gave him against Jeongguk's harsh words.

The prince's face fell and Taehyung could see him clenching his fist below the table. Well, good, he deserved it for being an asshole. 

He noticed in Jeongguk's hardened, fierce eyes that he wanted to respond, but he was suddenly cut off when Hyun-woo clicked his glass of wine with the spoon to get everyone's attention. 

The king cleared his throat before looking at each of them in turn, his glare landing finally on Jeongguk. "For our guest and our future alliance with the neighbouring kingdom," he toasted, taking a sip of wine. Taehyung almost laughed bitterly at the fake display of sympathy, but he held back and drank from his own glass.

He didn't know why he somehow took his father's side in front of Jeongguk, but he thought maybe it was the guilt. He should be grateful that the king adopted him after all, not turn against him, right? Still, nothing sat right with him and the unpleasant churning of his stomach led him to believe it was from standing up for the man who didn't listen to reason before raising his fists.