♛chapter five

Two days passed with nothing happening, which made Taehyung even more nervous than he previously was when that fateful dinner came to an end. He had expected his father to pull him aside in a fit of rage and punish him just like he normally would when he deemed that Taehyung had crossed the line somehow or when he didn't like his attitude, as he so eloquently put it.

But what threw Taehyung off this time was the silence and the wait. Because while he knew the king was busy with planning the peace with the neighbouring kingdom, the brunette was certain that he didn't forget how Taehyung acted and the words he addressed him. It was only a matter of time until he was summoned by one of the gourds in his father's chambers and then what?

He'd suffer the consequences. That's what.

His footsteps currently carried him to a part of the castle he wasn't so familiar with. Taehyung was wandering aimlessly, thoughtlessly, trying to clear his head. His nerves were getting the best of him and he felt like he was suffocating waiting around in his room for the other shoe to drop.

The boy looked around, noticing the emptiness of his surroundings. It seemed like no one was around and he was completely alone.

Until a small noise caught his attention.

Taehyung didn't necessarily consider himself a nosy person, but curiosity still gnawed at him and pushed him to strain his ears better to hear. He drew closer to the glass door that led outside in the royal garden, immediately spotting in his line of sight the blonde boy that Jeongguk's been arguing with two days prior. He seemed lost, his clothes sticking to him because of excessive sweating, his eyes glazed over and alert. Taehyung wondered if he had been running. But running from what?

The young prince decided to make his presence known.

He took a step outside, silent as to not startle the poor boy. "Jimin, right?" He called softly to him.

The blonde's head snapped towards him, fear evident on his features.

"No need to be scared of me, you know," Taehyung assured him.

Jimin shook his head and came closer, but still keeping his distance. "You didn't scare me, your highness," he said, bowing.

Taehyung just waved him off. "Don't have to be so formal with me. Taehyung is fine. And if I didn't scare you, then what did? You seem a little spooked if you asked me."

The boy cracked a smile, a giggle forcing its way past his lips. "It's nothing, your- Taehyung," he corrected himself and Taehyung nodded approvingly, but still unconvinced.

The brunette decided to let it slide this time. "You're prince Jeongguk's servant, aren't you?"

Jimin nodded, fidgeting with the end of his tunic. "Uhm- yes, that's true." And then as if coming to some sort of realization, he added in a rush, "Wait, you were the person spying on us the other day, right?"

Taehyung blushed, scratching the back of his head sheepishly. Jimin's eyes widened, becoming acutely aware that he was indeed talking to the youngest Kim prince and he had practically called him snoopy. He rushed to take back his words, "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to imply-"

The other boy held up a hand, effectively silencing him. "Don't. It's fine. I - I did, actually... Eavesdrop, I mean. That wasn't so ethical of me. I should be the one apologizing."

In his haste to reassure the prince that there was no need to apologize to him, he harshly pulled on the vest draped over his tunic, the pocket padded inside tearing apart at the seams and a silver key slipping out, tumbling to the ground with a ringing noise.