♛chapter nine

The intruder scoffed, unbothered by Jeongguk's attitude, strolling into the chamber like he owned the whole place. Unconsciously, Taehyung pressed himself even further into the window sill, glad that it was closed even though his back was protesting the action by burning even worse than before. 

The man, or should he say the boy -for him not being that much older than Taehyung himself-, took a few steps closer, coming to stand directly in front of Jeongguk who automatically puffed his chest in a wordless threat for the uninvited guest to remain where he was and not make the mistake as to think his presence was welcome. Taehyung didn't want to admit but the gourd scared him. He wasn't just any gourd, he was his father's personal gourd.

And not to be a mood killer, although the mood's been killed the second that door opened, but Taehyung still had the key that was supposed to be under his protection in the pocket of his trousers.

"How inconsiderate of you, Park. Don't you know this is a prince's chamber? I didn't know they raised you to that rank just yet," Jeongguk tsked, smacking his lips together and crossing his arms over his chest in a superior manner.

"You're so funny, Jeon. You may be a prince in your kingdom, but you don't rule around here." Bogum retaliated, peeking behind Jeongguk to look at Taehyung whose legs began to tremble from the weight of the key burning through his pocket.

Bogum smirked at him, the fake gesture obvious and accentuated by the wave of his hand. He was acting as if he was seeing a long lost friend. "Hi there, little prince. I should ask what your business is here, huh? Associating with the Jeon's now? Your father wouldn't be too happy to hear that," he said sarcastically, smiling from ear to ear.

When he made an attempt to pass by the young prince and get to Taehyung, Jeongguk pushed him back with a firm hand on his chest, placing himself in front of the brunette. "Hey!" He raised a finger in his face as a warning, "Don't forget your place! Now, why are you here? I don't waste my time with people like you."

"People like me?" Bogum put a hand over his hard, his expression one of fake surprise. "I'm offended, Jeon. I thought we became the best of friends. Not like your gourd threatened my king... Hm, that's right, I forgot. He actually did."

Jeongguk laughed, his eyes crinkling. "Right... Where were you again? Preoccupied with something else? Were you eating with the other servants?" Jeongguk nagged, mock gasping and mimicking Bogum's actions by placing a hand over his heart as well.

Taehyung could clearly see Bogum's face getting red from restrained anger, but the man only smiled at Jeongguk, subtly glaring daggers at him. "Anyway," he decided to change the subject. "You know why I'm here."

"Nope, I don't have any idea," Jeongguk said, already sounding bored. "Now what do you say you escort yourself out before I do it?"

"Oh, don't play dumb, Jeongguk. I'm here for the key that you fucking stole!"

"Key? What key?" Jeongguk faked a look of consternation. "Did you lose the key to your chambers? Such a shame..." He grimaced, playing embarrassed on Bogum's behalf.

"You're a real comedian. But that doesn't work on me. You really didn't think I'd notice? You sent your servant to sweet-talk me and steal it while I wasn't paying attention. But I can fucking put two and two together. What would the coincidence of the key disappearing right after that short conversation? But I might say, the blondie is slick."

"Are you sure you didn't just lose it?" Jeongguk asked uninterested, analyzing his nails. Taehyung knew he was worried though, the tense line of his back gave it all away. The nonchalant attitude was just an act and the brunette was certain Bogum saw right through it as well.