『3』❝He Doesn't Love You❞

"My Ladies, we have arrived."

Stepping out of the carriage, soft, billowy clouds escaped your lips as you surveyed your surroundings. Fuchsia-colored petals rained down from the swaying trees and the flower bushes surrounding the great estate gave off a strong, earthy fragrance that tickled your nose an awful lot.

Looking rather unpleasant, you wrinkled your nose and pressed your lips tightly together in an effort to hold back an incoming sneeze.

Androssi took a step away from you, eyes darting awkwardly to the side as she tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

Is she constipated?

"Here." Yihwa handed you a tissue and you accepted, smiling warmly at the kind gesture but it was soon forgotten at the notice of Rachel's disappearance.

"She ran off inside without us as usual.", Androssi mentioned. "You ought to talk to her."

"I mean...", you replied softly, lifting your shoulders into a shrug. "I'm alright with it."

"Ugh, you're too complacent. Friends shouldn't be ashamed of each other, (Y/n). She can't keep doing this.", Androssi commented, her honey irises narrowed at you in annoyance.

You sighed, looking away. "Well, she's my friend. Unnecessary conflict isn't what I need at the moment and I don't mind it either, if it helps her."

It was true you were close to Rachel, very close but that was at home...where no other ladies were watching either of you. You didn't grow up in nobility; you just happened to be a poor child who struck gold when Duchess Arlene decided to take you into her care.

What an unwelcome surprise.

They all never ceased telling you that, like you didn't hear it enough already.

Rachel tried to convince you that you weren't an embarrassment to her in public. She just couldn't afford to be seen with you, someone of low class, for the sake of her reputation. You supposed you couldn't blame her anyway, a case like yours wasn't supposed to exist in the first place.

"Hmph, you better be glad Yihwa and I don't care for such petty things. "

"Of course, I am." You smiled again, hooking your arm in Androssi's and pulling her closer to you. She stiffened, a pale red tinting her cheeks as she lightly pushed you away, making you laugh warmly.

"You know, you get flushed so easily."

She grumbled, crossing her arms and turning to one side, "You're just too touchy."

The three of you finally entered the banquet hall, greeted by the sweet scent and warmth of pumpkin spice that lingered in the air. Silver chandeliers hung from the ceiling, strewn with winter decorations, and soft murmurs filled the room while delicate dresses swayed with every step as the ladies gathered around the dining table.

As soon as you were spotted, the group dispersed, half of them staying where they were, welcoming you with a friendly gaze and the other running off to the other side of the room. They waved their feathered fans over their mouths, giggling as they whispered to each other and taking secretive glimpses at you every so often, like a clique of little girls.

God, you were so tired of the childish antics.

Your eyes made contact with Rachel's who looked at you apologetically from where she stood in the group. Your lips quirked into an uncomfortable half-smile, a failed attempt of reassuring her that 'hey, this doesn't hurt at all.'

Twenty chairs were set around the large table, each embroidered with an emblem from one of the twelve Great Families. You pulled out your own, absentmindedly picking at your nails as you waited for the banquet to commence. Androssi and Yihwa had gone off to mingle with the others and you sat there alone, that is, until a shadow loomed over you.