『2』❝Wouldn't Hurt to Hope❞

"Rachel?"

Androssi blinked a few times, somewhat startled by the news. You watched her lips slowly quirk upwards until a string of laughter tumbled out and she made haste to cover her mouth.

Your smile faltered and you asked with uncertainty as she continued to giggle, "Should I be offended?" You didn't know what was so comical about the announcement of a marriage...or was she making fun of the engagement of the two?

Seeing the frown of displeasure on your face, Androssi shook her head. She held a hand to her chest in an attempt to calm herself and maintain an iota of seriousness, yet the way her honey eyes sparkled in amusement betrayed her efforts.

"No...you see, it's the most unexpected thing I've heard all day!", she answered, and in a lower voice, she asked, "Are you not lying to me?"

"I'm not."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Positive?"

You hummed.

Sighing with a pout, Androssi twirled a lock of hair between her fingers. "Well, that's unfortunate. I never thought Viole and Rachel would ever pair up..." And as she continued to ponder, a faint, teasing smile made its way onto her lips, though unbeknownst to you. "I always thought she was smitten by someone else."

Nodding your head, you couldn't help but agree with Androssi. As far as you could recall, Rachel had never shown any sign of interest towards your brother who, ever since childhood, was completely enamored by her. With the way he became a blushing mess whenever she complimented him and only paid mind to her in a ballroom full of women vying for his attention, anyone could tell that she transfixed him with such ardor.

And yet, all of a sudden, they were engaged.

Did she change her mind? Love could come in many ways: between two friends, at first sight, and perhaps in the mysterious way Rachel had become engaged to Viole. Despite that, you knew Rachel's warm and loving attitude would compliment the kind and reliable gentleman that was your brother Viole...but did she possibly like someone else?

She may have had a change of heart, you told yourself. It wasn't your business, anyway. You didn't want to ask Androssi and consequently subject yourself to your own hypocrisy. Rachel has her personal affairs and you have your own. It should remain that way.

"Yihwa, are you okay?"

Engaged in your conversation with Androssi, you failed to notice how your friend was slouched against the couch in a seemingly melodramatic episode of grievance. Unlike the brunette who was unbothered by the news, Yihwa covered her face with her hands, red dusting her cheeks in chagrin.

"No, I am not. This is truly embarrassing.", she murmured, her voice muffled. "Is it fate that I must remain without a suitor?"

Holding two fingers to her temple, Androssi, who was used to hearing such things from her Yeon friend, grumbled, "Come on, Yihwa. You're acting like no one asks for your hand."

"You don't understand, Androssi. They're just...not up to my standard.", she said, grimacing at the thought. "Aside from that, we're getting older and we're losing time. I don't want to die alone!"

Sometimes, Yihwa could be a bit ridiculous.

"We're nineteen. We have plenty of time.", you jumped in, trying to reassure her, "Besides, Androssi's right, you won't have a problem in finding a husband."

Pink sapphires peeking out at you from the spaces between her fingers, Yihwa sighed in defeat, "You don't get it. They don't want to marry me because they like me for who I am. They are infatuated with the way I look like, with the way I fit their image of what a proper wife should be."