『4』❝Nothing's Going To Happen❞

The banquet ended and the four of you entered back into the carriage. Androssi and Yihwa clasped their hands together, chatting excitedly over what was to come but you couldn't put your heart in it, dread piling in the depths of your stomach.

Your mind was occupied by what Eris said.

"Remember your place and stay away from Aguero, if you know what's good for you and him."

A crease made its appearance on your brow, your lips puckered tight as a dull headache began to form. It felt impossible.

"Are you okay?"

You swiveled your head at the voice, your eyes softening when they met amber tones. You saw concern rest in Rachel's gaze and gave a weak smile in return.

"... I'm fine. I'm just feeling the brunt of the day."

Rachel gave you a quizzical look, sympathy tugging at her lip. Grasping your hand, she said "Are you sure? If anything's bothering you, you can confide in me."

With such kind words, you felt your heart waver and you thought about what if you told the blonde everything. Would it help? But then looking at the reflection of yourself in Rachel's eyes, you were unsure, scared even of what Rachel would think of you.

You turned away, not able to stand eye contact any further. Squeezing her hand gently, you thanked her. You wanted to reassure her and reassure yourself. "I'm fine and well. Tired, but I can wait till we reach home to rest."

Tucking a lock of hair behind your ear, Rachel allowed you to rest your head on her shoulder before returning her gaze to the outside window. "If you believe so."

You felt yourself almost tear up then. Why did Rachel not show this side of herself around the others? Sweet and caring, like she has always been to you, in front of you...just not in front of them.

But weren't you the same with Aguero? In private, you'd tease and flirt, throw your arms around him, and... You blushed.

You disliked being so self-aware.

Sensing a disturbance, the freckled girl glanced back at you, a smile adorning her lips as she smoothed your hair. "Just relax."

Setting aside worries of what's to come, you attempted to do as she told you, shoulders slackening and eyes drooping as you leaned on Rachel comfortably. Eventually, slumber began to take over.

Having arrived back at the Grace Estate, Albeda escorted you to your room as you rubbed away the sleep from your eyes. Helping to remove your jewelry, dress, and coat, she ushered you into the bath before leaving, saying "If you need anything, I'm right here, My Lady."

You soaked in the water, letting out a deep sigh as if it would dispel your returning ache. Your brief sleep served as a distraction, you wouldn't have to think about facing Aguero then. But now here, the mere thought of him made your heart race with fear. Fear that he would hate you.

What good would it do to tell him? Everything had to go his way, and he wouldn't rest until he sees that it does. It was something you simultaneously liked and disliked about him. Does he not know there are powers far greater than you, than him? Destiny was never in your hands, it's always in someone else's. So of course, one can only survive in this life by lowering their pride and submitting to those above them. You lived your entire life by this ideology.

It was natural.

You grabbed a nearby cloth, dampening it with water before wiping your face. Natural, if it was natural, he couldn't blame you.