Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

TA 3019

Tol Brandir

They grounded their boats on the shores of the River, and rested on the lawn of Parth Galen, a green expanse with a thick forest of trees westward. Concealed behind trees, a spring flowed, watering the grass.

It was peaceful there, but Boromir sensed a restlessness in Aragorn. He set a watch, and even then, Aragorn's tossing and turning kept Boromir up late in the night. That, and the fact that Aragorn still had not chosen to go West to Minas Tirith.

He heard Aragorn get up softly in the night and speak in low tones with Frodo. The sound of a blade being pulled from its sheath made Boromir peek at the hobbit. The blade shone blue, though dully. He lay his head back down on his pack and closed his eyes. Orcs. Have we not had our fill of Orcs?

He'd battled Orcs his entire life. Now for time, he felt weary of fighting the Shadow. He wished that he could do something—and his eyes opened and he drew his gaze at Frodo. He could see the chain glinting around Frodo's neck, but the Ring was within his shirt and could not be seen.

When morning dawned and everyone had eaten, Aragorn called the Company together.

"What shall become of our Fellowship?" he asked. "Will we turn west with Boromir and go to Gondor, or turn east to the Fear and Shadow?"

The hobbits all looked at Frodo out of the corner of their eyes. Frodo stared at Aragorn, his face solemn. Legolas and Gimli both glanced at each other, then at Boromir. Boromir had his eyes on everyone. How could he make them see it was folly to turn East?

"Whatever we do must be done soon," Aragorn said firmly. He looked keenly at Frodo. "The enemy is on the eastern shore, but I fear the Orcs may be on this side as well."

That must've explained why Sting's blade had turned blue that last night. No one spoke or even moved.

"Frodo," Aragorn said softly. "This decision lies solely on you. I cannot advise you on which road you must take."

Frodo looked quite miserable. "I know we must hurry, but I must have an hour to think. Please," his face had grown quite thin for a hobbit, and Boromir could see the distress in his blue eyes. "The burden is heavy. Let me be alone."

Aragorn sighed. His face softened with kindly pity for the hobbit. "Very well. Don't stray far out of call."

Frodo sat with his head, and Boromir could've sworn he saw a single tear drip from the hobbit's eyes down his chin. Frodo got up and walked away with his shoulders slumped. Boromir's eyes stayed on him. The burden was indeed heavy for the hobbit.

Frodo passed out of sight in the trees. The Company simply sat and said nothing. But Boromir's eyes stayed on the trees where Frodo had passed through.

Frodo did not seem like a hobbit who was heavily influenced. Rather, the quiet Frodo observed much and listened intently. He'd said he needed to be alone. He'd heard Aragorn's counsel, for the two were always together.

But Boromir had never truly spoken to Frodo from his heart about Minas Tirith and how the Ring could aid them and overthrow the Dark Lord. Had not the dream prophesied that a token would be shown in Imladris? It had come to pass. And Halfling had come forth. The dream had come to Boromir. And Boromir must see it done, for it was only through the Ring that Gondor could ever hope to overthrow the Dark Lord—Sauron.

Boromir stood and headed for the trees. If anyone saw him stand, they said nothing. He followed a path towards the dwindling ruins of a road of long ago. The stairs of stones had been cracked and worn, and they only served as a reminder to Boromir that this is what could happen to Gondor if the Ring did not go there.