Chapter Forty-Six - Not One of Us

MAY 2017
TWO WEEKS LATER

DOMINICK'S POV

Apparently I am not the only one Katie is making pay for missing the banquet. Tyde and I went over to the house a couple days ago and spoke with my parents, as Dr. Rogue suggested, to try to figure out what is bothering Mollie; and also formulate a way we can all, as a family, help her. Neither of them had any idea what could have possibly upset Mollie so deeply, but they both are committed to helping her overcome it.

Katie was supposed to also be present but an assignment had conveniently popped up that required she stay locked away in her room the entire time. I poked my head in her room when I arrived and right before I left, both times I was met with curt responses. According to what our parents told Tyde and I, Katie's been giving them a similar treatment. She hardly speaks to them and when she does it's always a short to-the-point reply. She spends most of her time in her room studying or sleeping. They're worried but because Katie's not actually being disrespectful or acting out, all they can do is wait for her anger to subside.

After we finished discussing Mollie, Mom and Dad shared their plans for Katie's upcoming birthday. They are planning a good-sized surprise party for her, not only in hopes she'll let go of her grudge but also simply because she's turning sixteen. Tyde and I will be helping with pre-party set up and post-party clean up. Meaning there is no way we'll miss the party.

After speaking to my parents, Tyde and I met with Ms. Maxwell and Mollie's teachers. The meeting went well and we came up with a plan to help each other as we help Mollie. The meeting went well. Arranging a meeting with Aria was much the opposite.

Nearly two weeks are spent going back and forth, having our arranged meeting postponed by half an hour, then an hour, and then another until eventually we have to reschedule for another day. Today, finally, Aria is able to meet.

  She was already sitting at a table when Tyde and I arrive at the coffee-shop. She is dressed in a long-sleeved maroon dress, her hair is parted over to the right with the left side tucked behind her ear. She doesn't see us come in, she is looking at her phone. "Hi." I greet her as we walk over.

  Aria flinches a bit in surprise and looks up from her phone. "Oh, hi." She says, moving her phone off the table and into her purse. Tyde takes a seat directly across from Aria, she picks up the laminated menu on the table.

"Sorry for the scare." I say sitting down next to Tyde.

  A moment later, a man comes over to the table, he takes an order pad and pen out of the brown apron around his waist. "Do you know what I can get started for you today?" He asks with a polite smile.

"Did you already order?" I ask Aria.

"Not yet." Aria answers me before turning her attention to the address the waiter. "Just a medium coffee and some sugar." She says.

"I'll probably just get a coffee with creamer." Tyde says to the waiter before handing me the menu.

  I take a quick look, my mind can't process half of the drink names. Caramel Cloud Macchiato, Purple Bubble Tea Blend with Expresso Shot.. what happened to there just being lattes and coffee. "I think I'll get a coffee with sugar and cream and," I flip over the menu to look at the food options, "a ham and cheese." I set the menu back down on the table.

"Excellent choices, I will have those out in a moment." The man says, tucking the order pad and pen back into his apron.

"Glad schedules finally worked, great to see you." I say to Aria.

"Yeah, sorry about all that craziness." Aria says, her fingers brush through her hair parting a couple strands of hair to the right. "Work has been insane, just a real madhouse." She folds her hands on the table. "Then there's the doctor's appointments, I have started a new medication so that has me drained. Everything has been wild but yes, it's good to see you two." She puts on a tired smile. "So, what's going on?"