4. Brett 21 / Eddy 19

2 years later.

Eddy is not quite 20 yet but Brett turned 21 today.

Brett just had his 21st party. Eddy crashed at Brett's. Brett's parents were away so they had his parents house to themselves.

Eddy had an air mattress set up for him as usual on Brett's bedroom floor but they were lying side by side on Brett's bed since they were still tipsy and giddy from the party and wanted to keep chatting.

"Brett, can I ask you something?"

"Hmm?"

"Have you ever had a girlfriend?"

"...no"

"Shit, you're not lying either."

Brett grabs Eddy's hand that was on his cheek.

"No, I am not lying Eddy. I would never lie to you, I couldn't even if I tried, not with this."

"Sorry Brett, I didn't mean to accuse you of lying... I suppose I couldn't either. Lie to you, that is."

"..It's okay, I know you weren't accusing me of anything. I mean, just when would I have the time, Eddy? We've practically spent every free weekend together since we were like 8, 9 years old."

"True. But Brett, aren't we like supposed to have girlfriends by now?"

"Well, I suppose if you wanted one, sure, why not. Did you have anyone in mind, Eddy?"

"...This girl asked me out today at your 21st party."

Brett's heavy eyes suddenly opened wide. He glanced towards Eddy without moving his head whilst asking in his calmest possible tone of voice.

"Wow, Eddy. So... what was she like?"

Who was she?

Brett remembered there were a couple of girls at the party asking Brett about his best friend.  They all said he was kinda cute and seemed nice.  What a bloody understatement that was!!

"She seemed nice. But I can't tell you what she looked like."

Brett snorts.

"What, you didn't ask if you could find out, like you asked me when we first met?"

It's one of Brett's most fond memories with Eddy. The memory of 8 years old Eddy's hands; gently touching his 9 years old face. Eddy's hands were much smaller and softer back then, he didn't even have calluses on his left fingertips yet.

"...No, I haven't done that in years.  I'm surprised you haven't noticed that I no longer randomly ask people if I could touch their faces."

Brett's memory of that moment suddenly felt even more precious.

".. What I can tell you about her Brett is that she was a bit shorter than you, used Pantene shampoo and she liked gin and tonic like you do."

"Wow. Impressive."

"Not really. I don't have any idea what she's like as a person."

Brett closed his eyes. Eddy's disinterest on the matter brought Brett partial relief and partial confusion as to why he was relieved. ...And Brett must have had some other part of his brain that was up for some sick self-inflicting pain.

"But Eddy, how would you know without even trying to get to know her?"

..OMFG, what am I trying to do, convince Eddy to go out with this girl? Am I nuts?? Why am I doing this ?