9// A feral pulse

Nicole stared up in horror, ostensibly shaken up. She saw the glisten of blood on the man's sword. Clear like water yet heavy on his hand. He chafed a black mare with his armoured legs, diving back his sword into yet another man's guarded chest. His opponent, tore in size and in rage, sidled, clinking the rider's sword to the ground together with his neck, hewn in one swift move.

Nicole bristled. It was movie night and so far she hated it. Only she knew of the troubles of obtaining a good night sleep when jarred with ghastly scenes, taunting at the eerie silence. Today, she realized, would be one of those nights. "Your love for war movies creeps me out. Couldn't you choose something else. Something mushy and full of sweet crap like a rom-com, at least not this medieval stuff."

Beside her, Kiki beamed, flashing a knowing  smile. Surely, this can't be revenge?

"You can't be serious. Is this cause of last week? Come on, you loved the film, I am pretty sure I saw you drooling over Max," Nicole argued.

Kiki abandoned the movie and watched the flit of light on Nicole's face, dim but enough to reveal her discomfort. "I think you mean to say drooping. If I can fairly recall, you had me fall asleep, wrapping me in a warm blanket like you even cared."

Nicole hid a smirk and reached for the bowl of popcorns that laid unattended on the jumbled coffee table. "You've got a sore taste for fine things my dear, more so movies. You should be glad I did put you out of your misery."

Suspense, poised in a weary thread, ripped through the screen and Kiki swallowed a  jab of a response, choosing to feed her eyes and ears instead. Nicole could do some waiting or better still search for some sleep.

"Seriously, you are the worst," Nicole  complained but as she suspected, Kiki payed no heed whatsoever. Bored, Nicole rared back on the seat, pulling the old drab cloth to her chest. It belonged to her mother, given to her on her chilly sixteenth birthday party. Nicole still remembered the day vividly, ostensibly an ebb to her heart. Pink silk dress, trims of white along its edges with delicate lace ruffles at the sleeves. She looked breathtaking like the glimpse of the sea at dawn and her mother the fairest of them all, dazzled in a warmth display of smiles. Nicole missed her. The drift with her father did cost her a lot. Her mother.

The door to the apartment tinkled open and Nicole saw a silhouette of a figure waltz in. The main lighting source mounted on the ceiling had been turned off, its persistent flicker had become a sore thumb, hence best left unused. The light from the television screen shimmered, enough to reveal the intruder. Trizah. Nicole smiled.

"Do you always confuse our humble abode as a toilet? Or is there another reason for your lack of knocking?" Nicole stirred towards Kiki, an ample space building up next to her. Trizah took the seat, drawing a faux smile. "I always knock when in need of a toilet. I don't know what that says about your humble abode."

Nicole chided, a rough chime to the eaves. "You should know that my arms work fine and a slap to your lovely face would be no hassle, it would even do some good to your pimples."

Kiki, drawn by Nicole's retort, watched Trizah in amusement. Pinched cheeks, bared teeth. Trizah looked miffed, resemblance to a child's tantrum. "Do leave my pimples out of this."

Nicole laughed, drawing her legs to her chest. "I missed you. It has been days since I last saw you."

"A peaceful one at that. I forgot how irritating you could get." Trizah eyed the drab cloth leery before preying for its warmth.

Nicole grasped onto the fabric tightly, shoving Trizah aside. "And yet somehow you still showed up for the movie night. I missed you too, can't be so difficult. Right?"

"Will you let me be?" Trizah quirked a brow, the wick of her eyes laden.

"Well of course, just say the words. Easy peasy," Nicole hummed, loving the taste of a prodded Trizah.

Trizah's lips bloomed to Nicole's demand, her features a contrast reflection but Nicole triumphed in satisfaction, offering a share of the popcorns.

Kiki had long abandoned the movie, deeming the interaction between her two friends a more entertaining piece, but now Trizah's orbs watched her, limned in gild, a frivolous crook to her brows. "What?" Kiki asked.

"Remember the guy from the clean up? What was his name again? Ah, yes. James it is." Trizah munched loudly, seemingly delighted.

James.

Kiki remembered him. How could she not? His eyes, a flame so dark she itched a burn.
"Yes I remember him." Kiki hated the hitch in her voice. "Why?"

Trizah toyed with a popcorn, hurling it to her mouth. It missed. Kiki watched in anguish, donning a talent of patience, one that she rarely had, as Trizah reached for yet another popcorn.

"What pray tell, is up with James?" Impatience rode on a higher thread and Kiki hid her burning cheeks.

Trizah eyed Kiki suspiciously. "You look fervent Kiki. Are you quite alright?" It was a goad, Kiki realized. Trizah knew of her reaction and she found it pleasurable.

"Yes, I am okay. Why would I not be?" Why would she not be? She didn't care about him. So why would she be affected? But why the feral pulse?

"If you say so." Trizah shrugged her shoulders. "Apparently, James is the new neighbor. I ran into him just outside my door."

Kiki felt her throat dry up. "You didn't mention my name, right?"
James being a nextdoor neighbor, was a whole different feeling. She didn't like it. Didn't like the flutter in her chest.

Trizah bore a scrunched look. "It might have slipped without my knowledge."

"What is going on?" Nicole's voice echoed next to Kiki.

Kiki saw the smirk, hewn of its edges and realized Trizah had caught on. "Well, it so happens that Kiki's heartbeat occupies the apartment across."