3 // New neighbor

Nicole tugged off her ash blond heels from her numb feet and threw it over the rest that had been properly stowed adjacent to the threshold. She didn't care that it lunged hurriedly over the others, creating a menacing mess, her mind was in a ruffle and a nagging ache tore her heart, and as she slumped onto the upholstered furniture, her face pillowed on the soft cushion, she realized the only thing she cared about, was getting rid of the imagery that had now stuck in her head.

"Why is your dress sodden?" Kiki asked when she caught a glimpse of Nicole's dress.

Nicole groaned onto the cushion, pressing her face deeper. She felt snugged, pulled off from her thoughts as the cushion crinkled underneath her pressure but an acidic tinge clamped the insides of her mouth and she immediately heaved upright, swallowing hard.

"I tried to wipe off vomit from my dress but it didn't budge, so instead I tapped water on it and everyone on the bus called me crazy lady, considering how drenched I looked, " Nicole muttered under her breath.

"Why did you take the bus? Where is Wayne?" Kiki asked, her eyes cast at Nicole as she sat next to her.

"I practically ran out of the restaurant after I spewed on him."

"You what!"

"Oh God, he probably thinks of me as an avalanche of vomit," Nicole cried out woodenly, crooking herself on Kiki's shoulder. Her body still shook in embarrassment and she ached to forget Wayne's distraught face.

Kiki spread her arms around Nicole, pulling her closer to warmth. "If it isn't for your pensive melancholy, right now I'll be all up in your face."

Nicole nudged Kiki on her stomach, a smile playing on her lips. "Should I be thankful?"

Kiki feigned a hurt, "Of course you should, if not, I'll tell Trizah."

Nicole's neck cricked painfully and her toes curled in response as she stoored from Kiki's embrace. "You wouldn't dare," she gasped.

Trizah was their next door neighbor. A bloody deride who wouldn't miss on any chance to poke fun at someone and Nicole knew better than to let her shame bloom before Trizah.

"Be thankful then," Kiki responded, dragging Nicole back to her shoulder. "Sorry to break it to you, but your hair smells like shit, did you also vomit on it?"

Nicole slapped off Kiki's face from her hair. "You are just as worse as Trizah," she grumbled, but still arched her body,  nestling between Kiki's arms. At times like this,  she amazed at Kiki's ability, how she could bring about levity in grave issues with her snide remarks, releasing one from stress. It was remarkable, and as she glanced at the dented wall, she smiled.

The tinkling of the door stirred Nicole and Kiki and their eyes turned towards the door, at a beaming Trizah.

"Why are you smiling?" Nicole immediately asked.

"I got some big news," Trizah chirped, plopping on the one piece of furniture  that grazed the bity apartment and Nicole fleeted over to provide room for her.

"Let me guess, you finally know how to make ugali." Kiki uttered, shifting her stance. She stared at Trizah, the wick of her mouth perched.

Trizah rolled her eyes and squeaked, " No, this is bigger." She tugged her lips, but stopped short, peering inquisitively at Nicole's dress. "What happened to you?" She asked.

Nicole twitched and felt her head reel, "Got rained on."

"It seldom rains in January," Trizah quipped.

"Well today it did rain."

At the other end of the cushion, Kiki groaned and rared back, "What's the damn news!"

At Kiki's voice, Trizah's attention towed away from Nicole and her eyes glinted, "We have a new neighbor, he just occupied the apartment across."

"Did you see him?" Kiki asked, her voice a little eager than she intended to. She coughed.

"No," responded Trizah.

"Then how do you know it's a he?" Nicole scoffed, rearing her body further away from Trizah.

"Had a talk with the landlady's kid, she sure talks a lot with a bag of candies wrapped around her neck," Trizah shrugged, fiddling with her breast length auburn braids, that Nicole always thought as too tawdry."Turns out he is a hottie with an impaling height," Trizah added, wiggling her brows.

"Your words or the kid's," Kiki snickered.

"Mine, I picked up a few hints." Trizah chirped.

The room was barely lit, a flicker here and there, blamed on a faulty wiring. Nicole and Kiki had grown tired of bleating and with time, they grew accustomed to the bareness the night always brought, so when a stream of light shone through their apartment, they instantly stirred and moved to the window, their arms resting on the window sill.

They stared at the figure at the other side. His back was turned to them, the overhead light carefully grazing his features and Kiki heard a gasp escape from her lips as her eyes glided over his stour back.

"That's a whole lot of muscles just for one guy, " Trizah stated.

"Probably a gym instructor," Nicole chimed in.

"Rugby player."

"No, too tall for rugby."

Suddenly, the man turned around. His gaze at the window. Kiki felt her adrenaline rise to a throb as she ducked.

"Chillax Kiki, he can't even see us," Trizah said, her eyes still cast across.

"What is he doing?" Kiki asked, planking onto the cold floor. Her legs curled up to her chest.

Nicole jostled next to her, "He just pulled his blinds."

Beats of silence creeped up and Nicole canted her face at Trizah, stumped by her silence.

With her lips perched, Trizah edged towards Nicole, "Why do you smell like rotten eggs?"

-------------
What do you think about Trizah?
Remember to comment and vote