PROLOGUE

Prologue

There was a chill in the air. The snow wasn’t supposed to fall until tomorrow, but the freeway, which had narrowed from four lanes to two, was cluttered with patches of black ice. As late afternoon turned to early evening, the clouds multiplied, and light snow began to cover the desolate mountains.

The RV appeared around the far corner, a mere speck in the distance, the first vehicle to show itself in these high altitudes for nearly two hours. It was forty feet long, dark brown and archaic, and taking each sharp turn with an over-protective timidity that only a man in his seventies could have the patience for.

Donald sat in the driver’s seat. Agitated, beads of sweat running down his forehead, he adroitly maneuvered the giant vehicle through the intensifying snowstorm. He had wanted to leave Los Angeles tomorrow, but his little sweetheart was feeling home sick and insisted they return from their little weeklong road trip a day early.

“Grandpa?” the girl said.

“Yes, Gracie?”

“Are we almost there yet?”

“Soon, honey,” Donald said, running his hand through his thinning hair. “But we might have to stop for the night. It’s snowing outside.”

“It’s what?”

Eleven-year-old Grace stopped concentrating on her book at the back table and leapt to her feet. She peeked through the blinds to see the falling snow outside.

She shrugged. “Grandpa, it’s not snowing that much.”

“Yeah, but it’s only going to get worse. It might be best to pull over when we get to Bridgeport.”

“What’s Bridgeport?”

“A small town a few miles up ahead.”

“But I thought I was gonna see Mom and Dad tonight.”

“You will, honey. Tomorrow morning, you will.”

“But I’m so sick of this RV, Grandpa. I’ve had fun and all but can’t we—”

Grace.”

She peered at her grandfather’s tired face in the side mirror. She could tell he was exhausted—he had been driving for four hours straight—and that he wouldn’t be arguing with her unless he had a good reason to.

She sighed and sat back down at the table. She had three chapters left to go on her book. She was finally going to see who Bella would choose.    

“Are you hungry?” he said.

“I’m fine,” Grace said, flipping through the pages faster than she could keep up with the text. She was immersed. “I just had the peanut butter and jelly sandwich you made me.”

“OK, well just let me know.”

She nodded and tried to mask her frustration. She didn’t know why her mother had insisted she take a road trip with her ailing grandfather over Christmas break. It had seemed like a fun idea in the beginning, but it turned out to be the longest eight days of her life. She was ready to go home.

“I will, Grandpa.”

As the minutes ticked on, the snowfall didn’t let up. Donald started breathing noticeably harder, and Grace, after finishing her book, found herself resting her head against the small pillow beside her.

When her grandfather woke her up a half-hour later, she had drool running down her chin.

“Hmm? What?”