CHAPTER FORTY

CHAPTER FORTY

The ugly vampire faces all blended into one another, until about fifty or so became one giant repulsive visage that rivaled that of the Wicked Witch of the West.

“Somebody!” Brin screamed. “Somebody help us! Pleeeeeease!” 

Brin heard the roar of the tiny car almost right away, but she knew the sound was a figment of her imagination. It had to be.

But when Brin turned around, she saw the impossible.

“No way…”

The Volkswagon Beetle burst through the crowd of vampires, sideswiping half a dozen and running over another five. The car pulled up to the trio and Ash kicked open the passenger door.

“Get in the car!” he screamed. “Oh my God! It’s vampires, Brin! Vampires!”

“No shit!” Brin shouted, pushing Dylan and Lavender into the back before she jumped onto the passenger seat.

“Close the door!”

She did, just as a quartet of vampires crashed against the car.

Ash screamed at the sound of the crash, and then he screamed again when he looked at the pale Brin. “Oh my God! Brin! Are you a vampire, too?”

“It’s make-up,” she said, grabbing Ash’s hand. “It’s a long story.”

She knew she didn’t have time, but she did it, anyway. Brin hugged Ash and started kissing him all over his cheeks. “You came! I don’t believe it!”

A vampire jumped up on the car windshield. Brin and Ash both screamed.

“Oh my God!” Ash screamed. “We’re in The Lost Boys!” He clamped his hands against the wheel and slammed his foot against the pedal. “I’m in the middle of a real life horror movie!”

The vampire slid off the windshield, then fell underneath the car’s tires.

“Ran over another one,” Ash said. He turned to Brin. “Couldn’t you guys have just shot your movie in Grisly like any other sane person?” 

Ash slammed into another vampire.

“Uhh… Ash… can we discuss that later?” Brin said.

“Your call!” He looked forward, and they both screamed again. “Oh no!” Ash shouted. “There’s more of them!”

“And black ice!” Lavender screamed from the back seat, pointing forward.

“Hold on, everyone!”

At the moment Ash hit a patch of black ice, he slammed on his brakes and twisted the wheel sharply to the left, making the car spin wildly out of control.

“Look out!” Lavender screamed as Ash’s Beetle slammed into one vampire, two vampires, five vampires.

As the car kept spinning out, it mowed down one vampire after another. It was a small vehicle, to be sure, but it was fast and slick enough to work as an effective vampire steamroller.

After the last of the bloodsuckers disappeared under the car’s tires, Ash hit another patch of snow and managed to stop the spinning. More disconcerting, however, was that the car came to a complete stop.

“They’re coming!” Lavender shouted. “Oh my God, they’re still coming!”

“Lavender, calm down!” Brin said. She looked out the back window. The horde of vamps jumped over the devastated bodies cluttered all over the Bodie grounds. Brin turned to Ash. Now she was panicked, too. “Ash! Why aren’t we moving?”

“It’s not…” He started sweating. He slammed his foot against the pedal. “It’s stuck or something!”

“It’s what?”

Dylan leaned forward. “What the hell are you doing? They’re gaining on us!” 

“Ash!” Brin screamed, pushing Dylan back and making Lavender scream with unabashed fright. “Ash, let’s go!”

“It’s stuck!” he said. “What do you want me to do?”

“I want you to save our lives!” Brin shouted. “I want you to—”

Before she could finish her sentence, a vampire smashed his hand through the passenger side window and grabbed Brin’s throat with his sharp killer claws.