CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

It wasn’t easy to slip in and out of that schoolhouse window. When Brin’s right foot got stuck, she found herself hanging above the dusty old carpet, with old flimsy boxes set up below to break her fall. She kicked, twice, before gravity brought her down to the ground with a loud thud.

“Oww,” she said.

“Brin?” Dylan said from the other side of the rectangular room. He and Anaya were sitting close together in the back left corner. Anaya remained on the ground, while Dylan stood up and raced toward her.

“Yeah, it’s me,” she said.

“Oh my God, it’s so good to see you,” he said, smiling. He hugged her. “Are you here to save us?”

“I… uhh…” She didn’t know what to say. “Help’s on the way.”

“Yeah? Where’s Chace?’

“It’s a long story.”

They both heard a low chuckle in the distance. Anaya, her face buried in the viewfinder of the HD camera, shook her head. “Don’t be an idiot, Dylan. Of course she didn’t bring help.”

Dylan turned around. “What do you mean?”

“We’re over twenty miles from the nearest town. Brin wasn’t gone long enough. She didn’t accomplish a damn thing.”

“That’s not true,” Brin said, walking toward the center of the schoolhouse. The windows and ceiling were draped with cobwebs, and dirt covered the sneeze-inducing carpet. “Chace went on ahead. He’s gonna be back soon with help from the Bridgeport police—”

“That’s a load of bullshit,” Anaya said. “Something happened, didn’t it?”

“Nothing happened. I decided to come back.”

“Yeah, right.”

Dylan kept moving his head back and forth between Brin and Anaya. “Well, what is it? Someone tell me the truth!”

Brin glanced at Dylan. He looked ready to cry. Then she turned back to Anaya. She had the camera practically glued to her face.

“Anaya, will you put the camera down?” Brin said. “I’ve got something I need to tell you both.”

“So… tell.”

“I will if you come over here. Put the camera away.”

“Put the camera away?” Anaya glared at Brin. “This camera is the reason we all came here. It’s the reason for this entire mess! I’m guarding this camera with everything I have.”

“What? Do you think I’m gonna do something to it?”

“You might.”

“Set it down, Anaya. We’ve got bigger problems here than you guys know.”

“Like what?”

“Like…” Brin sighed. Anaya still wouldn’t look her way. “Just… please…”

Anaya still wouldn’t look away from the camera viewfinder. “Hold on. I’m watching the last shot we did. You know…  the one that killed Sawyer.”

Brin took a step forward. “But Anaya, he’s…”

“He’s what, Brin?”

“I just saw him outside,” Brin said. “I don’t want to make any promises. But I think he might be alive.”