CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Brin was thankful that the sun had appeared over the horizon, bringing light to what would have otherwise been a blind run through a black city. The trio raced at top speeds toward the center of Bodie Ghost Town, looking desperately for the road that led to the freeway sixteen miles out. They ran past the brown van, now black and completely destroyed, then the jailhouse, then all the archaic homes.

“Come on, guys,” Brin said, “I see the road up ahead.”

“What about Anaya?” Dylan said.

“I don’t…” Brin didn’t know what to say. “Paul’s with her… she’ll be safe…”

“Who’s Paul?” Dylan said.

Lavender wasn’t part of the conversation. She stopped left of the church. Brin and Dylan turned to look at the girl, who had a pasty white look on her face, suggesting for a second that she had turned into one of them.

“Lavender?” Brin said.

Lavender’s eyes grew wide. She leaned forward, appearing like she might faint.

“We have to keep moving, Lavender! We have to—”

“Oh my God, look!” Lavender shouted.

Dylan and Brin peered forward, past the church. 

Chace was sprawled out on the ground, his hands outstretched. Six vampires held him down; two more had their fangs sunk deep into his neck. Chace let out a loud, sorrowful scream, the kind that signified defeat.

“We have to help him!” Lavender screamed. “We can’t just stand here!”

She took a leap forward, but Brin stuck her arm out. “No. It’s too late… it’s too late…”

“We have to—”

“No!” Brin shouted. “There’s nothing we can do for him!”

The loud rustle of footsteps from behind made Dylan, Lavender, and Brin turn around. A horde of bloodthirsty creatures raced toward them. There weren’t just a few; there were over fifty. Their eyes were on fire with an orange red that illuminated all of Bodie.

“This is not good,” Brin said. “OK, come on guys! We have to run!”

Lavender was sobbing. “Where? There’s nowhere to go!”

Brin tried to run to the left, but five more vampires appeared from behind the farmhouse. She turned to her right to see another half dozen coming toward them.

The trio was surrounded.

“No, no, no, no,” Dylan said.

“Oh my God!” Lavender screamed. “We’re trapped!”

Brin stepped in front of Dylan and Lavender and put her arms out, trying her best to act like a human shield.

The vampires formed a circle, making an exit for the trio impossible. The creatures grinned for a moment, before they started marching toward the terrified humans. 

Brin closed her eyes.

And waited to die.