twenty four | promise

SAPNAP

I don't remember returning to my room, but it's where I wake up.

Stuffy sunlight warms the room uncomfortably and my eyes scrunch up to avoid the prominent beams. With a grunt I roll over, slipping out of bed and staring at the opposite wall. One hand rises to run through my disheveled hair as I sniff a few times. 

Eventually I make my feet move, carrying me around as I get ready for the day, the compressing room becoming unbearable already. I change into a clean shirt and wash my face, the cool water striking in the best way. The fatigue falls from my limbs and I can feel myself waking up, for real. Actually, I'm in a surprisingly good mood today.

I crack a few knuckles, a habit of mine, before stepping in the hallway.

Shoot. I forgot my phone.

Lazily I pat the pockets of my shorts even the tell-tale weight is absent.

I hum lightly to myself as I return to the room and spot it still charging on the nightstand. My tongue clicks with the beat that's stuck in my head, unplugging the phone and briefly scrolling through the notifications to see if anything's worth taking note of.

I quietly shut the door behind me, stepping into the hallway. My hand is still on the doorknob when I look up.

Just in time to see George slip out Dream's room.

He immediately freezes, feet stopping mid-stance. Likewise, my mouth gapes, the song having dropped from my lips.

We face each other from opposite ends of the hallway, resembling a video that's been paused mid-action.

"....what."

I walk slowly and clear the distance between us, stopping at the top of the staircase set in the middle of the upstairs hallway.

His lips purse together. He shuts the door fully behind him. "Hello."

Suddenly amused, I lean on the staircase railing, one elbow nonchalantly pressing against the smooth wood. "Whatcha doing?"

I see his face flush with the smile that's slowly growing on my face. "You're so dumb."

My mouth stretches into a defensive grin. "Woah, woah, I was just asking. I won't tell Dream anything," I add.

His face twists into unexplainable confusion. "What?"

I hesitate, my bubbling humor faltering as well. "I... aren't you stealing something?"

This time it's his turn to laugh.

Embarrassment floods my face. "That's just what I though, okay? You looked really spooked to see me."

He doesn't answer but at least he stops laughing.

I raise an eyebrow, flick my wrist once. "...aren't you going to tell me what you were doing in there?"

There's the regret. His gaze falls to the floor.

A deep inhale shakes his shoulders before he lifts it again. "Dream asked me to spend the night with him. I just woke up."

I choke on air.

Silent words swim through my lips. I grasp through the whirlwind of thoughts that rise with this very-abrupt proclamation. "Dream asked you?" I don't know why this is the first thing that comes to mind but it's up and out of my mouth before I can stop it.

A wry grin knits his eyebrows together. "I know, right?" he snarks.

"Um. Like. You....slept there?"