Chapter 1~ California?!

I awoke in my bed on a perfectly normal day. Nothing was different, I would soon get ready for school, catch the bus, and arrive on time. As usual.

    At least that's what I thought. I have always lived a completely normal life, I live in the beautiful Alaska with my mom and dad. No siblings, but that's ok. I need my alone time anyway. I pushed the blanket off of my body and stumbled into the bathroom. I turned on the light, and grimaced at my reflection in the mirror.

    Sleeping doesn't exactly help with hair now, does it? My long dark hair was almost matted from where it sat on my shoulders to where it ended on my chest. I brushed and straightened my hair, did my makeup, and got dressed.

   My eyes gazed over the clock on the wall, and I jumped in fright. It was seven already! I only had five minutes to get out the door. So in one swift motion, I grabbed my bag, put on my shoes and jacket, and ran downstairs.

"Layla! Why are you off in such a hurry?" My mom chuckled as she sat downstairs at the breakfast table.

"I have to get to school! I'm going to be late!"

"Oh, don't worry honey, I can drive you," my mom said sympathetically. What was going on with her? It seemed as if she was hiding something from me.

"Ok, thanks Mom!" I would ask her when I got home from school, it can't be that important. Besides, I need to do my homework in the car, since I didn't bother doing it last night.

~~~~~~~~

  I stepped out of the car, slammed the door shut, and instantly felt the brisk cold air twilrling around me. I shivered and ran in the front door, glancing at the clock on the wall as I quickly passed it. I had five minutes to get to my first period class, which was honors math. Plenty of time.

    I walked past all of the windows. It was raining hard, considering it was springtime and I live in Alaska, of all places. The only place colder than here is probably Seattle, it rains there even in the summer sometimes. As I looked out the windows, I wasn't looking where I was going and ran smack, right into my boyfriend Nico.

"Hey Layla!" He said, leaning in to kiss me.

"Hi babe." I said, giving him a light kiss on the lips. He had tan skin and dirty blonde hair styled up in a Cameron Dallas-y way. I loved to tease him and tell him he looked like a Miami surfer.

He took my hand and we both walked down to Math, since he insisted on walking me to class.

"Bye Nico. Love you." I said as we stopped by math.

"Love you too babe. Bye." I stepped into class when I saw him turn around to leave. I walked into the classroom and sat in my seat.

"Does anybody know that value of x?" Mr. Finch droned as I stared out the window, bored as hell.

"Come on, somebody must know the answer! Layla, would you explain the formula to the class?"

I groaned out of annoyance. "Yes, Mr. Finch, I CAN explain! See, everyone, what you do is some super important math stuff, and then top it all off with pure talent! But see, most of us don't have ANY of that, so I guess you will just have to try really hard," I said sarcastically.

"Layla! Detention!" Mr. Finch yelled. I groaned again and walked up to the front to get the detention slip. Everyone was looking at me, but I didn't care.

I had to spend my lunch in detention, of all places. Great.

~~~~~~~~~

"So... You're telling me you aren't mad I got detention?" I asked with an idiodic expression on my face.

I sat on the couch in the living room, across from my parents, who had huge grins plastered on their faces.

"No Layla, we actually have some big news ourselves!" My dad exclaimed.

"Honey, we are moving to California!" My mom blurted.

"Mom! Dad! That's...... Big news," I said, contemplating how this idea came about. My dad answered my thoughts as if he could read my mind.

"Well, a job opportunity came up in LA, and the weather is beautiful there." My dad said.

My mom worked in an office, and my dad was a lawyer.

"So we will be leaving in a week!" My mom said. It didn't surprise me that they told me we were telling me with only a week's notice. They did that kind of thing all the time. I wasn't mad at them, but I didn't know what I would do.

What would I tell Nico? And my friends? They would be so sad. And I don't know how I will be able to leave any of them, especially Nico.

I didn't believe in true love, not the cheesy kind anyway. There's no one person destined for me to be with. I have a choice in the matter. I do believe that two people can truly love each other, and I do love Nico.

"So when are we getting everything packed up?" I asked.

"We are starting tomorrow, but you won't have to help until after school."

"Ok, well I'm going to go to my room, then." I said as I ran up the stairs, and into my room, slamming the door behind me. How would I say goodbye to everyone?

God, how will I be able to leave Nico? He has been a part of my life for years. But long distance relationships are hard, and I don't want to keep him from dating other girls when I can't be there for him. I had to break up with him.

I would do it tomorrow.