Chapter 16

Adonis watched her scarf down her burger meal in disbelief and slight disgust. She ate a double stack burger, large root beer float, and medium fries in all of 7 minutes and 33 seconds. She wiped her mouth and faced towards the window in embarrassment.

"So you really like that stuff?"

"I mean yeah. Sometimes. Every once in a while, it's too greasy to eat often."

"I hope you don't become on of them."

Adelaide looked confused. "One of who?"

"One of those disgusting Americans" he snarled.

She laughed. "You know that's a big generalization. I feel it should be said that most these 'Americans' you despise are white Americans. There's a huge difference between those that come from ethnic backgrounds with actual culture rather than the descendants of colonizers. Please don't ever disrespect my people like that ever again."

Adonis was actually a bit offended, "I may beg to differ."

"Oh really?" she asked raising her eyebrows. "Please do explain" she snapped while pursing her lips.

"I'd rather not.." He immediately regretted saying what he said.

"No, go right ahead. Speak your mind." This man is really going to insinuate something racist and all of a sudden switch up.

"I said I'd rather not."a he repeated in a lower tone while tightening his grip on the steering wheel.

Adelaide started to laugh hysterically. Adonis rolled his eyes.

"You just went from from hating Americans to defending white Americans. Aww! I hurt your feelings didn't I?!" She paused and took a minute to suck her teeth. "You really just don't like black people huh? Do you hate all other minorities too?"

He just kept driving in silence.

She shook her head and ran her hand down her face.

As he sped down the highway she spent time thinking to herself. I knew something was up. If we actually had a relationship he wouldn't know so little about me, and I would never, absolutely ever, develop feelings for a racist. I never felt comfortable around him to begin with, but now I have to admit to myself that I'm actually terrified. What the fuck am I doing here if we aren't romantically involved? Why'd he try to exploit me in that way? He must need me for something if he took all the time to drag me out here to Texas. Did he really do something so bad he had to run? Are we even married? I don't know what to believe anymore. All I know is that I need to leave.

*****

In France...

*****

Morain waddled up the front steps with his cane. He paused at the front door to both catch his breath and to mentally prepare himself for wrath he was about to face. He took a deep breath and gulped loudly. He had to tell one of his closest friends that their worst nightmare had come true. He leaned against the wall and repeatedly jabbed his finger at the doorbell until a maid answered. Recognizing him, she ushered him into the living where he saw Michel rushing towards his direction. He plopped down on the sofa along with him.

"Morain? It's been a while my friend" he said patting him on the back. Morain patted him on the back as well. It was their version of a hug.

"Where's Amelie?"

"I'm here" she said appearing at the bottom of the staircase.

"Come, please sit with us" Morain requested of her. She followed his instructions.

"Is there something wrong?" she asked. Morain sighed before responding to his question.

"Yes, it's about Laidey..." Michel's face hardened and Amelie's contorted in confusion.

"What do you mean? What happened? Where is she? Is she okay?" Amelie panicked.

"Her husband, Adonis, and his friends had a plan to assassinate both me and my successors so he could take power. Adelaide found out and she told me. I sent men after them. My men were able to kill his accomplices, but Adonis caught wind of everything before my men were able to reach him. He decided to escape. I guess Adelaide decided to flee his home in Russia since she was afraid of him. We found her car, she seemed to of have a collision with a tree. Though we didn't find her body and believe Adonis found her and fleed with her to another country, possibly a whole different continent."

"He what!" she screeched. "He put my daughter in harms way and kidnapped her!?"

Michel looked absolutely lived. He sat on the edge of the couch with his elbows on his knows and his folded hands supporting his head.

"We've been trying to get as much information as we can on the situation, all we had was a cell phone signal from him that was in the U.K., however it seemed that was only a short stop on his way to a different destination."

"How long has it been?" Michel asked breaking his silence. Morain bit his lip

"It's been about a week..."

"You waited a week to tell my my daughter could've died and has been kidnapped. And to think you were the one who told us he was a good man. That he was trustworthy, that he'd take care of her." he said finally looking up. Amelie started heaving. Michel went to comfort her.

"You better everything you can and hope it works in saving her, or I don't know what I'll do."

Morain simply nodded and struggled his way to the door.

A/N

I forgot about this book sorry lmao. I couldn't remember anything, so I had to read the previous chapters and I just have to say anyone who's still reading is a real trooper. The first like 8 chapters absolutely make me cringe, then seeing all the mistakes in the chapters hurts my soul. I kinda want to rewrite those chapters, but that's a lot work at the moment and I hate reading my own work. I usually do chapters all in one 2-3 hour sitting at like 3 or 4 am and now I'm really seeing how important editing is. There's just so many errors and details I forgot to put in. I honestly wanna know how you're all still following along. Anyways, for now updates are going to be biweekly for the time being because my life is in absolute shambles.