Chapter 14

Delilah opened the lab door, making sure she closed it behind her so no one would know of Jerome's condition. She was slightly surprised to see he was already sitting up on the edge of the table.

She approached him and handed him a glass of water. "Here, try drinking this."

The ginger took the plastic cup and brought it to his lips. He managed a small sip, some of it dribbled onto his chin.

Delilah took a tissue and wiped his chin.

Jerome watched her expression.

She noticed this. "What?"

His voice was hoarse and croaky. "What's up with you t'day?"

"Nothing." She walked away and threw the tissue in the trash can.

"Don't lie."

She sighed. "What you did in last night's dream was a little annoying is all." she turned to him.

"Alright, I'm sorry I burnt your papers," he shrugged.

"Burnt my-?" she frowned. "No, I meant my ex being in the facility!"

Jerome looked confused. "Ex?"

"Yeah. You remember Rhys!" she paused and took a deep breath to try to calm herself a little. "I know you have control over my dreams. You've put him in them before. Why this time?"

"I...didn't do...what?"

Delilah could see the genuine confusion on her patient's face. "So...you...didn't see him on the camera? You didn't put him in last night's dream?"

He shook his head.

There was silence between them for a moment.

Jerome opened his mouth to speak.

"Don't even ask." Delilah snapped before he could utter a word.

He pouted comically. "I showed you what happened between my Mom and I."

"A bit too much."

"I also saw the fear you have towards Rhys," he commented. He took another sip of his water, this time not spilling any.

Delilah sat on the edge of the bed next to him. "He's the son of one of my dad's best friends. We used to be friends before..." She shifted uncomfortably. "Point is, he wasn't happy to share me with my brothers and so he ran them over. With an 18-wheeler."

Jerome couldn't help but let out a small surprised chuckle.

"And as if my life wasn't already bad before," she smiled sadly. "I lost my mom when I was born, later found out she left us. Then, it was my dad, my two brothers and I. Together, we moved around a lot for Dad's jobs. Then, he died too. And, even though it's horrible of me to think this, I was happy he died."

She started explaining why when she saw Jerome's eyebrow shoot up. "My father was a drinker, slightly abusive to my brothers. He'd always been. Especially after Mom's death and on nights work was hard...he drank a lot more. Sometimes it was so bad the entire house stank of alcohol."

"Yeah, I know what you mean." Jerome scrunched up his nose. He remembered the distinct smell of his mother's trailer, it smelt like her. It smelt like alcohol.

"You too, huh?" she asked.

He nodded. He didn't fancy talking about the memory.

"And then it was my brother and I. That was the best time. I mean, they were instrumental in my life. They were the ones who practically raised me, not my father. And I repaid them by giving Rhys a chance, who later went on to kill them. Now, it's just me." she shrugged.