Chapter 6

It was just plain unlucky that it started raining while they sailed down the river. Anne pulled her cloak tighter around her as the sky unloaded an unusual amount of rain on them. The raindrops were fat and thick and Anne swore she could practically see each one with her naked eye. Thankfully, Gandalf's cloak was waterproof, so she used it as a shield to protect her from the onslaught of rain.

The bad weather wasn't the only thing on their minds. The three black riders were still out there, intent on finding them. As they traveled down the river, they could spot the riders from time to time, making the journey even more nerve wracking. However, after several miles of sailing downstream, they couldn't spot them anymore. Anne wasn't sure if that made her feel better or more terrified. It was one thing to see your enemy, and another to know that they were out there, lurking just beyond your eyesight.

When they reached their destination, they got off the raft hesitantly. There was a certain type of security they felt in being on the water, knowing the riders couldn't get to them. On land, they knew they would be fair game. The only thing encouraging them to continue onwards was the fact that Gandalf was waiting for them at the inn of the Prancing Pony and could protect them.

"Everyone follow me," Merry whispered to the group. "And stay together," he added and gave Anne a pointed look.

She didn't have the chance to defend herself because he took off, causing the rest of them to run after him.

An all too familiar gut wrenching fear returned to Anne as she ran through the dark woods once again, darting from tree to tree as they made their way to Bree. Merry set a quick and demanding pace which Anne found hard to keep up with because of all the mud on the ground. The hobbits didn't seem to be having the same trouble she was experiencing; their big feet seemed to keep them steady throughout the journey. Anne on the other hand was slipping constantly, even falling a few times. She was quick to get up again and continue on, the need for safety outweighing her frustration.

They ran for several miles with no rest until they finally made it to the front gates of Bree. Merry stopped the group before they exited the tree line and turned to Frodo.

"We have to cross the road and wait for the door to be answered," he began, pointing to the massive wooden gates in front of them. "We will be out in the open..." he continued and trailed off.

He didn't need to finish. They all knew the situation; they would be vulnerable to an attack if the riders were close.

Frodo hesitated and looked to Anne for a long moment.

She thought hard about it then nodded at Frodo. He nodded back in agreement, ending their silent conversation. They both felt it. The looming darkness wasn't close. It had lingered and dissipated as they had drifted further down the river.

"We will cross the road," Frodo decided and moved forward, leading the way out of the woods and across the road.

Anne and the hobbits quickly followed behind him until they reached the security door attached to the oversized wooden gates.

Frodo knocked on the door seven times in rapid succession. The peephole opened to reveal an old man with a hooked nose.

"What do you want?" he asked in an annoyed tone, looking at Anne.

She pointed downwards to the hobbit in front of her which caused the old man to close the first peephole and open a lower one that put him at hobbit level.

"What do you want?" he asked snidely.

"We're heading for the Prancing Pony," Frodo answered in a skittish tone.