Chapter 3: Wings of Wax

In first position, my heels touching, I took a moment to find my alignment: feet, knees, pelvis, spine, ribs, shoulders, neck, head. I felt the imaginary string pull taut, lifting me practically off the ground all the while I imagined my feet as tree roots, digging through the hardwood floor, fixed in place, strong and supporting. I moved through my barre exercises and was sweating by the second set of tendus, right on track. When I was sure I was ready, I switched my music to my two-minute audition variation from Swan Lake, just in case they asked. I marked it three times and then did it full out, albeit without pointe shoes and in a limited amount of space.

No panic attack. So far.

Rain splattered at my windows streaking the lights outside that assured me the City was awake and ready for today. I put the coffee on and scrambled an egg. It was the breakfast I had before every audition. Disregarding the fact that I had neighbors, I turned my music on a little too loud.

Next was a shower, hot enough to keep my muscles warm, but not so hot as to make me sleepy. I knew exactly what I was wearing: my lucky dark green leo, the one that brought focus to my eyes and flattered my frame. Tights, of course, the newest ones. Small earrings that wouldn't distract from my dancing but would catch the light and the eyes of whoever was watching, helping me to stand out from the other girls. I wore my lucky lipstick and pulled my long hair back into a bun. Over my audition clothes, I wore wool warm-ups, a sweater, warm socks and tucked it all into my boots.

In my dance bag, I packed two pairs of pointe shoes, canvas ballet slippers, extra hair ties and bobby pins, a tennis ball, an elastic, my map. I didn't know what to bring for my meeting at Stark Tower. What did one wear to that? And training? I felt more nervous about whatever training entailed than my audition.

My phone rang.

"Hi Mom," I breathed as cheerily as I could.

I heard her sniff.

"What's wrong?"

"N-nothing. Just miss you is all."

"I miss you too."

"You do? Oh honey, guess what? It snowed. Can you believe it?" I could. It was Colorado, after all.

"That's early."

"Last year we didn't get enough to open Aspen Mountain until after Thanksgiving."

"Yeah. Hey, I've gotta-"

"Trix and Ester died."

"Who?"

"The buff chickens. Gigi's. She called this morning. The magpies were picking at them in the yard. They froze to death. Left out of the coop all night long."

"That's sad." I didn't have time for this today.

"It's horrible. The magpies wouldn't leave them alone." Her voice shook and I could hear in it the places she was cracking. My vision swam and my face got hot.

"Mom, I have to go."

"Oh yes. Your audition." She cleared her throat. "Did you bring that green leo?"

"I'm wearing it." This was what I called for. This was my mother. The part I wanted. She knew exactly what I needed.

"Remember there are hundreds of places you can audition. You don't have to accept the first offer that comes along."

"Okay."

"And don't push too hard. Not yet."

"Right."

"And make sure you send any contracts our before you signing."

"I will." I squirmed under the lie. Too late.