Chapter 8: Incantations

The quinjet landed like a giant bug. I clutched my phone to my ear, listening desperately to the ringing over and over again until voicemail picked up, yet again. After calling thirteen times, my mother would not answer her phone. Cold wind kicked up my skirts and hair. Steve held my hand as if I would blow off the rooftop and led us up the ramp inside the mouth of the aircraft.

I pushed down the screaming feeling that whatever Steve had heard on his phone had been about my mother. I refused to believe it. This sudden call from S.H.I.L.E.D. had to be unrelated. It had to be. Coincidence.

I heard the doors shut behind us and the jet took off without warning. If I hadn't been holding onto Steve's hand, I would have lost my balance. I glanced up from the screen of my phone.

It was all of them, The Avengers, the whole team except Thor, and they were dressed like they were ready for a fight. Bruce smiled tightly at me. Natasha was looking pointedly away.

"Hi Siri," Clint said lifting a hand.

"Hi," I said automatically. I locked my legs and the jet tilted.

"Why don't we sit down," Steve said.

"What's happening?" I asked, feeling my dread grow.

My phone rang, vibrating my hand.

"Mom?" I said, relieved.

"Hi Siri." She coughed.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Nothing," she said as if she hadn't been calling me over and over and then in turn ignoring my calls. Her tone hurt my feelings.

"Oh. Okay," I swallowed hard. "I was just returning your calls. Sorry I missed them. How are you? How is Walter?"

"Fine. Everything is fine. Walt is fine." Her voice sounded falsely breezy. Sarcastic even. A rushing roaring sound came through the phone. The jet listed to the side, and I stumbled into the wall, barely catching myself before I smacked my face into the metal.

"What's that noise?"

"I'm driving," she said. "The window is down."

"Isn't it freezing?" If it was cold in New York, it was freezing in Aspen Colorado.

"No."

I started to feel shaky. Images of that nightmarish astral projection played in my mind."Mom, are you taking care of yourself?"

"Sure, honey. Don't worry about me. Just forget that I called."

"What?"

"Nothing, Siri. I hope you have a great life."

She hung up. My heart began to pound in my stomach.

It was a small space. I knew everyone had heard my side of the conversation. Everyone was pointedly not looking in my direction.

"We have to go to Aspen," I said. My mother was not ok, and I was the only one that could talk her down off the ledge. I had always been able to calm her. I knew, beyond a doubt, that if I could just get to her, she would be ok. I would take care of her.

No one said anything. No one looked at me, except Steve, who patted the seat next to him.

"What did she say?" Steve asked.

"She needs help. I think she is in danger. How fast can we get to Aspen?"

"What exactly did she say?" he asked again.

"She said...she said..." I was too worked up to remember the actual words. "It doesn't matter. I need to go to Aspen. Tonight. Now. She needs me. I have to help her."