Chapter 6: Trompe-l'œil

The Sunday before or dance date, I started to get excited about it. I spent most of the afternoon searching for a dress and practicing victory rolls in my hair until they somewhat matched the pictures. I was trying on the dress with some of my shoes, late Sunday night when Steve called.

"Steve," I said, looking at the clock. "It's way past an old man's bedtime."

"Watch it, Eisen," he said with mock sharpness. I could hear the smile in his voice.

"Sorry, Sir. I need to learn to respect my elders."

"You know," he said chuckling, "I am not that much older than you."

"You're right. It's only like a 60 year difference."

"I'm only 28," he protested.

That made me pause. Something about the way he acted made him seem like he was solidly in his thirties.

"That's still six years older than me," I said, and immediately wished I hadn't. The awkwardness increased when I didn't hear him respond right away. "Practically ancient," I joked weakly, trying to cover up my blunder.

"Alright," he said graciously, "You got me there."

"So, what's up?" I was eager to change the subject.

"I called to let you know that Fury wants you tomorrow."

My heart did a little flip. "What for?"

"Something to do with the scepter."

The heart-flipping increased.

"Okay," I managed. "Same time, same place?" Monday through Saturday, like clockwork, he rode up on his motorcycle at 9:15, and I got to hold tight and pretend it would last forever.

"Actually, that was the other thing. I am heading out on a mission for the next couple days. You'll just be working with Fury and some S.H.I.E.L.D. scientists."

"Oh."

"Sorry to leave you hanging. I asked Tony to send a car for you, so you'll still have a ride."

"Oh, no, I can get there myself."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, totally," I said. My heart had stopped flip-flopping. It had stopped moving at all. I swallowed hard. "Still on for Wednesday night?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," he said, and I brightened a little bit.

"Because I've been practicing the jitterbug."

"I guess I should dust off the old dancing shoes, too. Wouldn't want to embarrass myself in front of a lady."

I grinned. "I don't think you could embarrass yourself if you tried."

"You'd be surprised," he laughed. "Bucky could tell you a few tales."

"Bucky?"

I heard a long sigh. "An old buddy. Died in the war."

"Sorry," I said. "Wish I could have met him."

"Me too," he said. Then he snorted. "Actually, no. Women always went for him over me. I wouldn't have a chance if he were here."

It was my turn to pause, stretching the silence into something uncomfortable again. A chance? With me? Was I imagining it? Or was this flirting? I searched for the right thing to say. Something that wouldn't pop this bright shiny bubble of happiness.

"I can't imagine choosing a guy called Bucky over someone like you."

"Shucks, Siri. You'll make me blush."