Broken Promise - Oda Sakunosuke x Reader

*WARNING: ANGST, DEATH AND SEASON 2 SPOILERS AHEAD.

DESCRIPTION

Y/N and Oda have a close relationship, what will this relationship become, where will this relationship go? How far can this relationship go in a twisted and cruel game of fate?

After an extremely difficult year as a Member of the Port Mafia, with blood soiled hands, Y/N seeks comfort by calling her closest and most treasured... friend. They were only friends after all, much to her dismay, though she was always far too anxious of being rejected to confess her feelings.

Though tonight she was more concerned about breaking down, feeling the soul crushing guilt of the lives she had taken while working for the port mafia through the few years she had been there. All of those people...

I pick up my phone, going through my contacts before selecting the person closest to me. I desperately needed to talk to someone right now. It didn't take long for him to pick up the phone, only one or two rings, surprisingly fast.

"Happy New Year's, Y/N." Oda's voice came through the phone clear as day, making my heart race ever so slightly as I clutched my phone tighter.

"Yeah, Happy New Year's." I attempted to reply happily, however, Oda knew there wasn't a shred of genuine happiness in my voice.

"Y/N, what's wrong?" He asked, his tone of voice had changed. 'Was he worried for me?' I thought as tears pricked at my eyes.

"I just-" I bit my lip to refrain from screaming and crying down the phone. "I want to live..." My quiet voice shook as I spoke, a clear sign I was about to break into a fit of tears.

"What do you mean? Where are you?" He asked, in an obvious worried tone, the ruckus on the other side of the phone indicating he was moving around with the phone.

"I want... I want to live without all this blood on my hands." I replied, tears falling down my face rapidly. Running from my eye, down my cheeks and then falling from my chin. "I just- I don't know if I can do this anymore Oda..." I began to sob, my whole body beginning to shake slightly.

"Are you at home?" He asked calmly.

"Y-Y-Yeah." I managed between sobs as I kept sniffing.

"I'm on my way." He replied calmly.

"O-Oda wait!" I cry/shouted down the phone only to be completely ignored.

"I'll bring snacks." He hung up.

I sat on my soft couch, somewhat astonished. He just- hung up. I keep trying to sniff back my sobbing, thinking to myself about silly things in an attempt to make myself feel better before a thought finally became like a light to guide me out of the dark pits of despair. Odasaku. His smile, his scent, his kindness. His very presence soothes my soul, but does someone like me even deserve to be in the presence of someone who brings such brilliant light and warmth?

Though, the noise of knocking at my door interrupted my thoughts and brought me back to reality. I quickly wiped my face with my sleeve and shook my head to shake myself from my thoughts further as I approached the door and unlocked it. As I opened the door I saw Odasaku, he seemed to be out of breath, slightly hunched over, breathing raggedly; holding onto a bag from the supermarket round the corner. My eyes widened slightly... 'He's... He's actually here! For me...' A faint blush crept across my face, tears pricking my eyes once more though, maybe these tears were of happiness from having him around.

"Your favorite ice-cream is (Favorite Flavor) right?" He asked as he began to regain his breath. I nodded opening the door further for him to enter.

"Did you seriously run all the way here?" I asked, locking the door behind him.

"Well yeah. You needed a shoulder to cry on right?" He replied as I spun around, a darker blush evident on my face, eyes wide.

"Oda..." My voice quietly and weakly called his name as a waterfall of tears began to fall once more. 'How embarrassing! I can't let him SEE me like this!' I leaped forwards slightly, wrapping my arms around his torso, hiding my face against his chest.

Much to my shock, he wrapped his arms around my smaller frame. His touch was gentle, warm, and soothing. Though I could tell his shirt must have been getting wet with the more tears I cried.

After a few minutes I managed to calm myself down, Odasaku's presence clearly being a helpful impact. Once I finished crying into his shirt (sorry Oda...) I pulled away from the hug looking up at him, taking in his facial features. That worried frown.

"I'm sorry Oda. I'm really sorry." I say, looking towards the floor.

"If you regret it, then stop doing it." I looked up at him, a serious expression on his face.

"You're not serious? Like they'd just let me stop." I replied, my lip quivering slightly.

"You never know, stranger things have happened. After all, I'm a member of the Port Mafia too, Y/N." He replied, cupping my cheek gently. "I know you killed a lot more people last year. So I'll make a promise to you."

"A promise?" I tried to ask, slightly confused.

"I promise this year will be better," His face began to slowly get closer to mine, until they were mere inches apart.

"How do you know-" My question was cut off by the feeling of his lips pressing softly against mine. I stood, astonished for a moment before gently kissing back. The kiss was short yet sweet and gentle.

"because; I'll make it better." He replied, placing his forehead gently against mine. His eyes staring deeply into mine.

...

...

...

I ran in order to catch up with Dazai.

"Dazai! Odasa-" I yelled their names as I ran into the room, only to look down at the floor at his body. Lying lifeless. My knees became wobbly; I covered my mouth to refrain from screaming out as my eye sight became nothing but a blur as an ocean of tears spilled. "O-Oda?" My knees finally gave in, I fell to the ground.

The sheer shock and fear of the scene infront of me made me forget of Dazai's presence until I felt a tug at my wrist. I looked up, eyes devoid of hope, filled with nothing but an ocean of tears. Dazai stood there with a soft, pained smile, holding my wrist before tugging me up. My knees still felt like jelly, so he had to hold me up.

"Come on, let's go." He spoke softly, but it would never amount to the softness of Odasaku's voice. Not in a hundred thousand years.

"Where?" I replied with a deadened tone of voice.

"We're going to be people who save others, that's what he wanted." My eyes widened for a moment, a spark of hope initiating.

~ Time Skip To A Few YEARS Later – Brought To You By Sad Boi Times? ~

We sat there, at his grave, leaning our backs against it as we sat on the ground, my head on his shoulder, clutching his bandaged hand tightly in mine. His scent was different, like apples and cinnamon.

"You know, Odasaku, we miss you." I said my spare, unheld hand wrapped itself around Dazai's arm. "I used to think, you broke your promise. But you did make it better, for both of us. If it weren't for you, we wouldn't be saving as many lives as we do now." I moved my head from Dazai's shoulder and looked him in the eyes as he smiled down at me.

"Thank you, Odasaku. I promise you; I'll take care of her..." Dazai's hand holding mine began to fidget with the engagement ring on my finger. "for the rest of my life."

"Thank you, Odasaku, for everything."