(Chapter 27)

♫Erica♫

Daniel was facing the wall when I came back in. Was he asleep? I swallowed, but tried my best to get into the bed without waking him up and making a massive fuss. I lowered myself into the bed, wincing as the bed-frame creaked. Thank God his mattress was memory foam. If it wasn’t, the springs would’ve given me away.

“So…Eric. Who were you calling in there?”

I held still, cursing under my breath. Daniel’d turned around, and was facing me, with a glint in his eye,

“Uh…no one?”

“Right.”

“Don’t you trust me?”

“No.”

“Oh. See, if you’d said yes, then I would’ve been able to use that as a counter-argument.”

“Right. But if I’d said yes, then that would mean I was lying, and therefore bring myself down to your level. Who were you talking to?”

“My estate agent,” I invited wildly. “He’s, uh, buying me a boat.”

Before he could examine my lie, I quickly grasped for an alternative subject.

“How’s your brother?”

Daniel’s eyes closed, and I immediately knew I’d said the wrong thing. “Uh, I’m sorry, I don’t want to pry, you really don’t have to tell me if you won’t want –”

“No,” he said, cutting through my babble, and opening his eyes. I was relieved to see that had his “strained” smile on, instead of his “you-prat-I’m-going-to-kill-you” smile on. “It’s fine. He’s not doing so good. The doctors are saying, that after so long…there’s pretty much no chance left. And if he did wake up, he’ll be brain-damaged.”

“Oh,” I muttered, trying to read his eyes. His tone was perfectly calm and normal, but his eyes were sharp with pain. But he hid to well – almost too well. That was why I hated actors. “I’m sorry, Daniel, I –”

“No, it’s fine,” he said. He tried to smile again, and this time he seemed kind of genuine. “I’m seeing him Saturday.”

“Do you want me to come with –?” I started, before shutting my mouth again. Damn it, I can’t offer, no matter how much I want to. I have to meet that damn director. “Uh, never mind.”

“Were you going to offer?” he asked, a slow grin spreading over his face. He ruffled my hair – my wig, really. “Aw, dude, you’re so cute!”

I blushed red, and I immediately turned away.

“Go to bed,” I said, my voice muffled through the covers. “We have to work hard tomorrow.”

***

╣Daniel╠

I woke up, and slowly my senses came back to me. Wow…that was a good night’s sleep…

There was a sort of dead weight over my legs, stopping me from getting up.

“Eric?” I muttered. “Your leg.”

Eric looked up at me, bleary-eyed, and looked down at his leg, which was draped over mine. He was perfectly still for a few moments, before leaping up, blushing again. Wow. He was really like his sister.

“I…” he started.

“It’s fine,” I said, jumping out of the bed, and running my hand through my hair. “We’re both guys.”

I stretched, and yawned.

“Hey, can you toss me my phone?” I asked.

Eric, who was still blushing, fumbled with my phone, almost dropping it, and tossed it to me. I checked it, frowning. Why the hell hasn’t Erica texted me back?