(Chapter 8)

Nope. There were barbed wire fences. God, was this a school, or a cage?

I wasn’t going to school, though – apparently all today’s lessons were cancelled so the whole school could go over parts, and have there first run-through. I guess skipping was the best option. I would totally do anything to get out of having to play Juliet, and skipping seemed the easiest way – I mean, you had to take the lead part away from the slacker, right? RIGHT?

I sneaked out in disguise (a really big hat) I did some homework in the library. I liked this. You know, being alone with no one but my thoughts. Well, I would like it more, if my thoughts were more exciting. I ended up actually opening my Calculus book.

Half-an-hour later

Text from Scott:

Where the hell are you?

Switched phone off.

Damn it, I’m so bored! Calculus sucks so much. I paid for my billion coffees, and ran back out of the library, earning a death glare from the librarian. Oh SHIT! It’s lunch, and everyone’s going to be there, and the teachers will yell at me, and they will…

I put on my really big hat, and sneaked back to my dorm. Just outside, my hand wavered at the doorknob. What if Daniel was inside? Would he yell at me? He probably would. I just went into the door next to ours, number 12, the one I was in last night. It was so boringly empty, I kind of felt like a shower.

Stepping into the bathroom, I took of my top and my jeans, and unbuttoned my bodice thing – I COULD FINALLY BREATHE! I switched on the shower, and turned it up to the highest heat. The water beat down on my skin, and it felt so good. The shampoo sucked though – I’d brought some really horrible “boy” shampoo that did nothing for my split ends, and I have no conditioner. How would I look on the shoot this Satur–

Oh crap. I had a “date” with Scott this Saturday! How the hell would I pull this one off? OK, my conclusion is, I go to the shoot, pick up a dress, go to Starbucks, have quick coffee with Scott, get changed and come back to school. That would be okay, right…?

Okay, calm down now. Sing a song to yourself.

“This is the way you left me. I’m not pretending. No hope, no love, no glory. No happy ending…”

A cool gust of air ran over my skin, and I shivered. It was like someone had opened the window, and now the cold outside wind was rushing in. I turned.

And screamed.

There was someone there, at the door, blinking through the mist the hot water shower had created. Oh my GOD, what the hell do I do? Who was the guy?

I didn’t think about it, I just grabbed a towel, opening the wide window, and jumped out. FUCK!

I did not think this through.

I was now a soapy, naked girl in the midst of hundreds of boys.

Sure enough, came the shout.

“OH MY GOD, THERE’S A NAKED GIRL!”

What do I do? I run.

***

Oh my GOD – the crowd of guys following me was getting bigger – my towel slipped for a second, and I quickly tied it back up again. This is so typical! This is why I never wanted to go to this school! I shivered. God, it was cold.

“Stop!” some random guy yelled. Hell no – stop and let myself get mauled by a hundred or so guys? “Hey, naked girl!”

I jumped behind a building, scraping against the stupid bricks, shit – they were right behind me, oh my GOD! I dived behind a door and there was an open window. I jumped in, and hid under the ledge, catching my breath. Then I looked up.

Daniel. Shit. This was our room. Somehow, I’d done a whole circle around the school and come back to almost where I started. I was puffing like hell. God, this was embarrassing – a supermodel is meant to be fit, yes?

“Hey,” he said, frowning, puzzled. “Who are you?” He probably saw random girls naked all the time.

I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

There was a noise at his door.

“Daniel! Have you seen a girl run through here?”

Shit. He would definitely rat me out, and I would be mauled by teenage boys! NO DANIEL PLEASE DON’T DO IT!

But to my surprise, he grabbed me arm (the none-scratched one) and shoved me under his bed. Not too gently, really. God. From my very uncomfortable position among his gross dirty clothes and school books, I heard the door swing open.

“What naked girl?” he said, sounding annoyed. “This is a boy’s school.”

“But we saw this really hot naked girl run through here! Are you sure she isn’t in your room?”

“Do you think I’m an idiot?” he yelled. He was an amazing actor. Totally. “If a hot naked girl just walked through here, don’t you think I would know?”

The other guy muttered sorry, and the door swung closed again.

“Are you okay?” Daniel asked, kneeling down beside the bed, looking at me. “They’re gone now. You can come out.”

I nodded, and slid out, gripping the towel around me even harder.

“Why did you help me?” I blurted out. Well, from experience, he wasn’t a nice guy. Someone like him wouldn’t help anyone for free.

He smirked.

“Kind of hard not to feel flattered when a hot naked girl runs in.”

I blushed – damn it! Why did I always act like this around him – a massive, dithering idiot? What did he mean by “hot”?!

“Why are you here?” he asked, tossing me a (clean. Thank god) white t-shirt and some (clean again. I mean dirty – EW!) boxers. “How did you get in?”

“I’m your roommate’s twin sister, Erica Miller.” I’d already lied to Scott about it, so why not to Daniel?

He had his head turned around waiting for me to get changed, but I could almost sense his derision.

“Your brother’s name is Eric, right?”

I nodded, slipping off the towel, but staring right at his head in case he turned around.

“Eric and Erica?”

I nodded, again, pulling the plain white t-shirt over my head.

“Wow.”

“Yeah.” I put on the boxers.

“Anyway, you’re his sister? You look a lot like him. He’s pretty girly.”

“You can turn around now,” I said, straightening his t-shirt, and sitting down on my bed. “Yeah, he is kind of girly. Oh yeah, he mentioned you were a total bastard to him. Why?”

His voice was cold when he answered.

“No reason,” he muttered, looking back at me. “Just don’t like him. Your, um, nipples are sticking out, by the way.”

I looked down, and immediately crossed my arms around my chest, flushing. He was right. Damn.

“I’ll…” I said, standing up, “go now. I have to go…find Eric.”

“Can I have your number?”

My gaze flickered back to his face quickly, and if I’d been eating, I would have choked and died.

“What?!”

“Can’t I ask the pretty girl for her number?” I ground my teeth. God, he was different around girls – definitely a player.

“No,” I said, grabbing my towel. “I’d rather leave.”

And I jumped out of the window.

***

Author's Note: Sorry, I've no time lately, so it's not great :)