(Chapter 34)

♫Erica♫

Was he coming? My fingers played with the hem of my skirt. I bit at my lip, scraping at my lipstick. The Director had given me permission to be a girl today. I would’ve been, even if he’d said no. I covered my face from the flashes from the paparazzi, as I vaguely walked down the red carpet, the sides lined with random fans.

Cris walked quietly behind me. I smiled at him, and he smiled back, sadly. I’d already told him about the bad news, about how I was going to quit. I gazed at the sky, at the bad weather. It was a cloudy night, and it looked like it was about to rain any second. We had to move it to the theatre. The premiere was due to start soon anyway.

An arm slid around my waist, and I turned around.

“Dan –” I squinted. “Oh.”

“Yeah.” It was Scott. I sighed, and returned the hug. Scott and I had a long talk and in the end he was very supportive, and a totally great friend.

“Scott, this is my manager.” I watched the two guys smile at each other politely and it suddenly hit me. A little smirk lit my face. “Hey, Cris…Scott said that he wanted some…uh…representation. He’s looking to go deeper into the entertainment business.”

“What?” Scott said, frowning. “I didn’t –”

“Oh my God! Erica Miller! Over here!”

“I have to go,” I said quickly. “I’ll leave you guys to it. Have fun!”

I walked away, but not without a quick glance over my shoulder. I smirked. They were such a cute couple. I was glad I could do something for some of the people who meant the most to me. I was still smiling, when I banged into someone’s chest.

“Sorry –” I stopped, my eyes widening. “Oh,” I said, in a completely different voice. “Daniel.”

Would it be stupid if I said it was like I could breathe again? If it was like I was finally complete, like I’d just found the missing puzzle piece? It so is. It’s so stupid. But, hell, I’m saying it anyway.

Daniel was looking good – no, I’ll say it. He was looking great. He looked healthier and calmer. His clothes weren’t the designer I was used to see him in, but a casual t-shirt and jeans. In fact, I would’ve said he looked almost like a regular guy – if his perfect face hadn’t given it away.

Even his smile was more natural. It wasn’t the usual, cocky, fake smirk he usually wore. It was a content smile that told me he was happy, and he’d been happy for the last five months…The five months without me.

I tried to be happy for him, but I couldn’t. My heart felt like it’d just been ripped out of my chest.

“How’ve you…how’ve you been?” I asked, my voice unusually high. I looked into his deep, blue eyes, the ones that were engraved into my heart forever.

“I’ve been great,” he replied. His voice had the same velvet texture I could almost get lost in. “You?”

“Fine.”

We stared into each other’s eyes for a second, before Daniel broke it off, and looked away. I bit my lip, struggling to keep the tears back. He didn’t feel the same way. He so didn’t.

“Juliet?”

My eyes snapped up. Was he talking to me? Was he treating me the same way again? There was a small spark of hope in my chest, which was almost immediately destroyed, when I saw that Daniel was looking away, in the opposite direction.

“Juliet? Come over here, honey, just for a second.”

From the crowd, he pulled out a tall, pretty girl. I stared into her surprised eyes for a second, and I took a step back.