Jum'ah Mubarak: Sunnah or Bid'ah?

JUM'AH MUBARAK: SUNNAH OR BID'AH?

The general rule in Islam is that whatever we should follow must have evidence backing it up either from the Qur'an or the AUTHENTIC Sunnah. We simply cannot go on and introduce anything into Islam for which there's no evidence either in the Qur'an or the authentic Sunnah.

Allaah (Glorified and Praised is He) says in the Qur'an:

“He who obeys the Messenger has indeed obeyed Allaah . . .” [al-Nisaa’ 4:80]

Allaah described obedience to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) as being a part of obedience to Him. Then He made a connection between obedience to Him and obedience to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him):

“O you who believe! Obey Allaah and obey the Messenger . . .” [al-Nisaa’ 4:59]

We would like the ask what do those verses mean?  Do they not mean that a Muslim must only follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah? Or do they mean that follow the Qur'an, Sunnah and something for which there is no proof?

Then why is it a Muslim can follow something for which there can be found no proof at all? How can anyone follow anything in Islam without any proof? When something has not been narrated at all in the Qur'an or Sunnah, then why is it that you can you follow it? What's the evidence?

Allaah warns us not to go against the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and states that whoever disobeys him will be doomed to eternal Hell. Allah (Glorified and Praised is He) says in the Qur'an:

“. . . And let those who oppose the Messenger’s commandment beware, lest some fitnah (trial, affliction, etc.) befall them or a painful torment be inflicted on them.” [al-Nur 24:63]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when beginning a khutbah (sermon): "… The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad. The worst of things are those which are newly-invented, and every innovation is a going astray…" (reported by Muslim, no. 867)

What was the thing in the above Hadith which Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) referred to as 'worst of things'? He said that every newly invented thing is the worst of things! And saying "Jum'ah Mubarak" to people is something which is newly invented. It was never known during the time of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allaah be upon him). Had it been something good to wish Jummah Mubarak, the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would have had done it himself. The fact is that there is not even a single report narrated in the whole of the Sunnah which says that Prophet or his Sahabah ever wished each other "Ju'mah Mubarak." Then why is it we do something which was not even done by the Prophet himself or his Sahabah?

"The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: 'Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours that is not a part of it will have it rejected.'" (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath al-Baari, no. 2697). How can anybody then say that bid'ah is acceptable and it is permitted to follow it?

"Jum'ah Mubarak" is a newly invented matter, it is an Innovation (bid'ah)!

“But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you [Muhammad] judge in all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions, and accept (them) with full submission.” [al-Nisaa’ 4:65]

The above verse makes it clear that in any case of dispute we have to make Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) as our judge. Today, we can use his Hadith (the sayings of Prophet Muhammad) to be our judge in such disputes. So, based on his Hadith, Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) declared every newly invented thing the 'worst of things'. Based on his hadith Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) declared that every newly invented thing will be rejected. Based on his Hadith, the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) declared that every innovation (bid'ah, a newly invented thing) will lead one astray from the correct path of Islam and will eventually lead one to the Hell-Fire.