Guidelines for the Day of Eid

GUIDELINES FOR THE DAY OF EID

The word 'Eid (عيد) is derived from the word عود (to return) since the day of Eid returns with joy, happiness, and enjoyment every year.

In Islam, the concept of celebration is based on a religious achievement. Eid al-Fitr is celebrated as we accomplish fasting in Ramadhan and attain a degree of closeness to Allah. Eid al-Ad'ha is celebrated in remembrance of the great sacrifice offered by Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) to sacrifice his son Prophet Isma'eel (peace be upon him) in submitting to the orders of Allah. The day of Eid is meant to instil in us this type of submission to Allah and His orders.

Thus we should take this perfect opportunity of Eid to make a firm resolution to suppress our Nafs and submit to Allah.

SUNNAT AND MUSTAHAB (DESIRABLE) ACTS OF EID

1. To wake up early and engage in worship (Tahajjud).

2. It is Sunnah to eat something sweet (preferably, dates) before proceeding for Eid al-Fitr Salah.

3. To perform Ghusl (bath). The Ghusl should preferably be performed between sunrise and the Eid prayer.

4. To apply fragrance.

5. To brush the teeth using Miswak.

6. To wear best clothes [or new clothes].

7. To give Sadaqah Fitr on Eid al-Fitr (before proceeding for the prayer).

8. To walk to the place of prayer if possible.

9. To go to the place of prayer as early as possible and gain the reward of observing the prayer in the first row.

10. To go to the place of prayer via one route and to return via another route.

11. To express happiness by displaying obedience and gratitude to Allah.

12. To smile at meeting a fellow believer.

13. Offer charity.

14. It is Sunnah Muakkadah for the place of Eid Salah to be in an (Eid Gah) plain field.

15. To continuously read the Takbir at-Tashriq from home till the commencement of the actual Eid Salah.

16. It is Sunnah to continuously read the Takbir quietly whilst going to the place of Salah (Eid Gah) on the day of Eid al-Fitr.

Source: https://m.ask.fm/StudentOfAbuHanifah