~5~

WRITTEN: JANUARY 20, 2021

                                                                                      1264 WORDS

I had never been particularly wonderful with animals (much to my displeasure). I expected care of magical creatures class to be the same. Hermione, Ron, Harry and I tromped down to Hagrid's hut mostly in silence. I was still mentally mulling over my most recent prediction for Ron. The odd thing about this prediction was It only came to me in the form of a singular word:

Betrayal.

Normally, my predictions were series of images, sounds, feelings etc which sort of left me to distinguish the meaning of. Although I wasn't necessarily complaining, my predictions had gotten shorter and fewer since my arrival in the U.K. I found my predictions to be terribly exhausting and frightening, yet it felt just as (if not more) frightening not knowing ANYTHING about my future. Is this what it's like for normal people?

"Open ye'rr books to page twelve if ye'rr please."

Hagrid pulled me out of my daydream with his request. I only now realized that we were at the edge of the forest in a large clearing. Heaving up my book, I inspected the furry cover and overhead Hagrid telling the class to stroke the spine to relax the monstrous book enough to open it without losing a finger in the process. 

"I...I thought they was funny..."

Hagrid spoke sadly once Malfoy began to pipe up with his irritating feedback.

"I think they are funny. Don't worry about him, Hagrid."

I smiled up at the giant, placing my hand on his arm and he smiled down, back at me. I looked back at the group of students in time to see Hermione pulling an irritated looking Harry away from Malfoy. I raised an eyebrow at Ron who rolled his eyes in Draco's direction. Draco was now throwing insults in Harry's direction. I grabbed Harry by the elbow and guided him away from Malfoy before turning around and looking at him and throwing up a certain finger, a large, goofy grin on my face. The blonde scowled at me and turned back to his cronies.

"Don't listen to that asshole. I bet he has a diary full of conversations you two have had, considering he's OBSESSED with you."

I told Harry, gently bumping him with my arm. He chuckled slightly and looked up at me, his large eyes searching my face.

"Hippogriffs!"

Hagrid announced happily, using his hands to display the large paddock full of strange, winged creatures. 

"Proud creatures they are. You do NOT wanna offend a hippogriff. So if anyone wants to get nearer..."

Hagrid offered carefully. With Harry and I, closest to the pen of hippogriffs, we hadn't noticed the rest of our class carefully backing away.

"Ah! Harry, Y/N! Our brave volunteers!"

Harry and I glanced at each other and then spun around and saw our class looking at us anxiously. I sighed.

"I can go first if you want?"

I offered. He gulped loudly and nodded. I laughed slightly and put down my bag and took off my robes, leaving me in my white shirt, rolled up at the elbows.

"You try Buckbeak! He tends to prefer girls so once you make a good impression, he'll be warmed up enough to meet Harry too."

Hagrid had noticed most of the flock of Hippogriffs were laying down at the other end of the pasture. The closest one was a large male with shiny grey and white speckled feathers. I looked at Hagrid and nodded before waiting for further instruction.