~2~

The room I stood in was small and dusty. I had been ushered off the train and into a small room by a tall man with long, dark hair and neat black robes. He introduced himself to me as 'professor Snape' and led me towards the headmaster. Professor Dumbledore. He spoke quickly and kindly, welcoming to Hogwarts.

"Now, Y/N. I remember your family and know that your family has had a history of being placed in more than one house. If this is the case with you, we're going to sort you here, with the hat, and if you are placed in more than one house, you can choose which one to join without all of the students gawking at you."

I smiled weakly at him and revelled in his claim to know my family. I settled myself on the small, wooden stool, and a musty hat was placed on my head. I jumped when it began to speak.

"Ah... another Y/L/N. I can see bravery... and wisdom beyond the age that you claim. I see desire, one to prove yourself to onlookers. Yet, the loyalty is too hard to miss, as is that thirst for knowledge and individuality... Dumbledore? I have to say... SLYTHERIN!....GRYFFINDOR!...RAVENCLAW!...HUFFLEPUFF!"

I sat there, unable to lift my jaw from how far it fell. I had briefly been told about the houses by the trio on the train, but I didn't have a claim to one before now. Snape's expression was unchanging, while Dumbledore seemed pleased yet concerned.

"Y/N. This means that you may choose any house you would like, but I must remind you that the houses are spoken in order from most to least fitting from how the hat spoke. This means you're most like Slytherin and least like Hufflepuff. But because you were placed in each one, that means you have an outstanding amount of each of the characteristics, so you would fit into any house, just fine."

I nodded and wracked my brain, trying to decide which house to pick. In the end, I chose...

"GRYFFINDOR!"

The hat cheered loudly as a young student hopped off of the stool to join our table. We all clapped, and I saw Ron whisper something to Harry, which made him chuckle.

"Now, students. As our sorting comes to an end, I would like to inform you that there is a new student transferring into her 3rd year from Canada!"

My face heated tremendously, and I bent my head meekly at the mention of me.

"Because of this, we had her sorted prior to the beginning of the feast, and she was sorted into more than one house. She decided to join the Gryffindor house, so I hope you will all make her feel welcome!"

The Gryffindor table erupted into mad cheers, and I felt one of the Weasley twins shake my shoulders happily. I chuckled and shook the hands of some of the older kids at my table before Dumbledore continued with his speech.

"Pottah? Potta! Is it true you fainted? I mean you ACTUALLY fainted?"

A blond boy sitting at the table behind Harry whisper-yelled to get his attention. Ron tugged Harry to turn away from the boy which caused the blond to turn his attention to me.

"And you must be the new Gryffindor? The name's Malfoy. Draco Malfoy. I heard you're a pureblood? This is a change from most of these pathetic, Gryffindor mudbloods. Pureblood and hot! Shame you chose Gryffindor though; I bet you were also placed in Slytherin"

Draco spat out the words 'pathetic' and 'mudblood' out like they tasted bad in his mouth. But winked at me with the last word before turning back around to pay attention to the speech. I sat there baffled at the boy's rude words and noticed Hermione staring daggers at him once he was turned away. The whole group seemed subdued after the conversation with him and was mostly silent for the rest of dinner.

I revelled at the sights of the large, luxurious castle and my heart raced with each new surprise. I had been living as a muggle since recently so the idea of changing stairs, or talking paintings made my head spin.