~8~

Written: April 1, 2021

                                                                                   1010 words

                                                                                      279 reads

CONTENT WARNING: Swearing and talk of death

I overheard people whispering and giggling at me when we arrived early for dinner. I was still pale and shaken at my boggart in DADA, and the trio were glaring at anyone who so much as glanced in my direction. I could still feel my legs slightly shaking from when they gave out, and my whole body was warm with fear and shock. 

My mind returned to the sight of my boggart and how realistic it looked. My muggle therapist told me that memories often get repressed after trauma and that it was normal. I didn't remember that night well. Even though my memory was vague, the boggart managed to refresh that image to exactly how it looked that night.

 The dull look in my brother's grey eyes.

The pale skin of my mum, who was usually covered in freckles.

My dad's stiff hand that was still in an outreached position where it was obvious he was working to grasp at the clean kitchen knife only a few feet away.

The police had no idea what happened to them. All of their autopsies came back with inconclusive results.

"Perfectly healthy."

I heard the medical examiner telling a police officer a few hours later. What really confused the police was not why they died but what happened after. They were found, lying side by side on their backs. Each one had their eyes open and a pleasant look on their face, much like they were reading the morning paper rather than dying. 

I don't remember coming in.

I don't remember opening the door.

All I remember is seeing the faint, blueish/white whisps above each body. They had been still and close to the bodies until they saw me come in; that's when they slowly diffused into the air like the flame of a campfire reaching for the sky. 

I don't know what happened after that. Not really. But I do distinctly remember a scream which I was later told came from me, and that's how our neighbours knew to call the police.

I now know it was the killing curse. I now know they felt no pain. But it was still a surprise to see it. They laid, side by side, exactly the same as that night.

I looked up, brought out of my thoughts by the snickers from my various classmates. I saw a few girls grouped at the Slytherin table, staring and whispering with laughter at me. Once I saw that, I was suddenly filled with rage. My face screwed up, and I stood, my shoulders tense as I stepped out of the wooden bench.

"Y/N? What are you doing?"

I faintly heard Ron calling my name, but I was too angry to respond. I walked towards the group of girls. They were still staring at me, but their faces changed from amused to worried as I moved closer to them.

"If you're so interested in me, then take a picture; it'll last longer."

I snapped at the girls.

One girl with long, straight black hair rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"Keep that attitude to yourself. If you have a problem with me, then fucking say it."

I growled at her, leaning closer to her face over the table. She laughed and leaned closer to me.

"I just think it's funny that you're afraid of people dying from the killing curse... you know since you're a fucking mudblood and your family is just a bunch of filthy muggles."

I was, in fact, pureblood, but that didn't matter. I grabbed her by the front of her collar and dragged her across the table to my side.

"That's it. Get up. You're fucked!"

She looked nervous before looking at what I was wearing and then laughed.

"You don't even have your wand!"

I tilted my head, my hand still on her collar and laughed.

"I don't need a wand to kick your fuckin ass!"

Her face paled as I straddled her with her back to the cold, stone floor and raised my fist. Before I could punch her, however, I was pulled off.

"What the fuck?!"

I yelled as a ginger threw me over his shoulder. I looked up and saw George and the trio following behind Fred as he carried me out of the Great Hall. I groaned. George and Ron looked impressed, Harry looked anxious, and Hermione looked pissed.

"That was a close one!"

I heard Fred say with a chuckle.

"What did you do that for?"

I asked, looking up at Fred's ear before flopping back down over his back, my hair falling down towards the floor.

"As much as I would have LOVED to see you beat the shit out of Daphne Greengrass, the teachers were about to arrive for dinner, and I thought it would be better for us to get you off her rather than Professor Snape."

George responded with a laugh as he jogged up to pat my cheek degradingly. Fred dropped me onto one of the large sofas in the Gryffindor common room, and the twins sat on either side of me like a twin sandwich. The trio sat in various other chairs, staring at me.

"What?!"

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

OMG GUYS WE'VE GOT SO MANY NEW READERS!! I'm so sorry for not updating for a while but I have been SWAMPED by school... if anyone is good at chemistry pls lmk lol. I'm currently on spring break so Imma try to get another chapter or two published but idk if I will. Just to let everyone know, I'm going to start including swears and other content like the stuff in this chapter. I will try to remember to include a content warning but if you're sensitive to that stuff pls just stop reading this story. I hope you're all enjoying this story so far and I would be soooo grateful if you could give it a vote and maybe drop a comment or two. I would also love it if you guys haveany ideas about where the story could go! I hope you all have an amazing day/night and if no one else has told you today...

I'M SO PROUD OF YOU! <3 

PEACE!