CHAPTER 1 - The Earl's Crime Part 1

Thank you all for waiting! Forgot to mention that I'll be following the manga and some parts of the anime for this story. And I changed a part around the middle of the chapter. I hope you all don't mind.

**Just a reminder that this book contains themes that may be sensitive to some people. Please keep in mind while reading.**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the 19th Century, with the Industrial Revolution, England, which was in disorder and expanding, colonizing new lands, became 4th in the world.

And became the British Empire.

The Greatest empire in history had a racial population of less than 3% that was being controlled. This old class system that first appeared in the countryside had those standing at the summit redesigning over the upper class. For the British Empire, the system although working differentiated the people and installed an absolute boundary between them. The birth of a noble house was nothing but status and bloodline imposed on for a lifetime. Each class whether its students or businessmen, have little freedom to choose and are forced to work till exhaustion. Worth is forcefully put on 'life' and discrimination was born among people.

Just like this luxurious but greedy castle...

[Name] sighed as she carried the luscious fabric that the duke reprimanded her for. Even if it was the best fabric in the town made by the best maker yet he was disgusted at this fact and made her return it. When will the duke give her a break? [Name] cast her eyes out the giant window in the hallways looking at a branch of a tree that housed a nest with two lovey-dovey birds inside building it together.

[Name] pouted childishly to herself, 'When will my love life even start?' Having two lives made having a love life even harder. Internally crying, the [hair color] haired girl looked forward and headed to return the fabric. 

The streets of this little town always reminded [Name] of how different the world was. Patting the basket where the fabric laid she passed the bar where a giant bridge connected to the other side of town saw the upcoming doctor's place where a carriage in front of her stopped. Worried, [Name] quickened her pace to see a man and a woman who she knew as an acquaintance.

"That's dangerous you idiot!! This is Duke Dublin's carriage, you know?! Hurry up and move out of the way!"

[Name] quickly tried to grab Michelle's hand when she suddenly smacked it away.

"Michelle..." [Name] saw the anger in her eyes blazing into the carriage.

"Miss, are you alright?" The man who tried to first grab Michelle's attention turned to [Name] seeing as how Michelle walked away already. [Name] cast her eyes at the nobleman who wore a brown suit with a white shirt under. A red tie and top hat to complement the look, with also his cane lifted up from the floor.

"A-Ah, I'm quite alright...I'll be going now."

"We both are headed this way right, miss? Why not walk here with me?"

[Name] internally panicked, not recognizing this man who wanted to walk along this road with her?? But that would be better than to walk separately on this road.

Heading towards the Apple stall, [Name] heard how the mysterious man stopped walking. She finally turned into the conversation.

(I changed this part.)

"You're the rumored Professor Moriarty? You made that Baton give you a ride. Not bad. That guy's this place's leader." The old lady there spoke.

"Is that so? From what I saw, he seems like a good person." Moriarty questioned this woman who seemed to lightly scoff at his knowledge.

"I'll pass it on for you. But you know, it doesn't matter how much you compliment us. In the end, we are a completely different specimen than you are. You'll never be considered one of us."

[Name] visibly winced at these words. Was her work alone not enough?

"It seems like everyone in this town is bearing the same darkness. Would it be possible to talk to me about it?" Moriarty bore his eyes at the old lady before quickly glancing at [Name], "Truth be told, aside from being a professor I have one more occupation. Private counselor. That ill-feeling heart. I'll try to heal it."

"Hmm. What a cheeky little attitude towards the elderly, little chick." The old lady responded.

[Name] awkwardly stood there, wanting to leave but knowing her presence would be better known if so. The old lady cast her eyes at the town around her, "In this Durham town, there were 2 distinguished families that settled here a couple of years ago. The previous owner of your mansion stopped coming. The other family is in the south from there, the Duke Dublin's family. The people of this town have always suffered because of those 2 families. Wait, [Name] you used to work for that other family didn't you? Why did you work for Duke Dublin now? I heard that other family was violatin' you."

Moriarty seemed to catch that piece of information quite angrily in [Name]'s eyes. But seemed to refrain from talking letting the [hair color] haired girl speak.

[Name] quickly responded, her words tripping here and there, "Ah, well. I don't have any other place to go nevertheless."

"You could always work for me chap!" The old lady dropped her smile and continued, "Nothing will mislead people more than a demon hiking as an angel. I think Shakespeare's the one who said it. These are the great words of a great dramatist. Their predecessors, at first, were lending us poor people, agricultural lands for very cheap. They even found us some machinery. Then they immediately raised the rent. Even for construction workers. They forcibly took whatever they wanted. Leaving us just enough money not to starve to death. Some wanted to leave or strike back but if you were caught, they would beat you with a whip. More than becoming a criminal and hitting rock bottom. This lifestyle was still better. We're all his slaves."

Moriarty and [Name] bid their goodbyes to the old lady after Moriarty got the apples he wanted. Walking down the road the two were about to bid goodbyes.

"Is what she said true?"

[Name] turned around facing Moriarty, "Eh..? What do you mean?" Of course, she tried to play dumb.

"Is the Duke sexually harassing you?"

"O-Of course he wouldn't! I mean...I can't do anything about it..." [Name] lowered her voice before continuing, "I wish we didn't have to say goodbye like this but I do not wish to talk about that matter." [Name] forcibly turned down talking about that and left. Leaving Moriarty alone.

While he is correct, [Name] already had a plan. From what she gathered from this person, William James Moriarty, he seemed to be a mysterious individual that's for sure. He knew what the noble had been doing to her without even asking. She knew about the incident of which he was the orphan that disguised as Albert's brother. What a sly individual. [Name] knew to keep a close eye on him. But for now, on to being the 'maid who couldn't fend for herself'.

~~~~~~~~~~~

[Name] entered the mansion through the backway. Bringing a different fabric. When approaching the near front of the mansion hearing Duke Dublin letting out a boisterous laugh, "Yes welcome, Albert Moriarty for coming. Oh, [Name]! Please take our guest's coats."

[Name] internally sighed recollecting her mask, "Y-Yes sir."

There they are huh? The Moriarty brothers.

[Name] let out a small huff before smiling pettily but sweetly, "Welcome."

"[Name], nice to meet you again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also completed half of chapter 2 so I'll try to post as soon as possible, thank you for reading! Please tell me if there are any mistakes at all, while editing I will go back and fix them.