He Decides to Celebrate

not really edited lol sorry !!

___________________________

Mr. James is already pushing us onto the stage before we have any preparation time.

Two wooden stools await us in front of the hundreds of StarCross students.

Brayden and I sit down as the crowd claps. I make Brayden read first this time.

Mr. James announced very last minute--as in, the start of English class--that we would be having a flash assembly to present our stories. I wasn't surprised. StarCross has a lot of these. They believe that if a student knows that they would likely present their work, then they would work hard on it.

I like to think of the crowd like an ombré. The front rows are filled with intelligents, people who either genuinely care about other people's work or just sit there to look smart and interested. The rows in the middle listen, but they don't hide the fact that they'd really rather be somewhere else. And the back rows? They simply don't care.

Brayden hands the paper to me. I smile--because chances are I'm being marked for this--and start reading.

It's almost barely changed since the first time we presented. However, I'm proud of it, so I guess I don't mind Mr. James pulling a flash assembly for this.

As I read out loud, I think I see a flash in the corner of my eye.

I shift my eyes from the crowd and try to see where the flash had come from. I don't see anywhere it could have come from.

But I need to finish reading out our story, so I simply ignore it and pretend it was nothing.

❤️❤️❤️

"ANNA!" He comes rushing through the library doors, hair tousled and eyes shining. I look up from my book, annoyed.

"What? I'm reading. Go away," I stand up and point to my 'I'm reading, go away' shirt and yell, "Whaddup t-shirt reference!"

He slams one hand on the table and uses the other to pull my book away. "Yeah, well, this might be a little more important."

I raise an eyebrow. "More important than Tobias and Tris frickle fracking?"

"Pfft. They never got to that stage. I'm glad they didn't though, because what if Tris was pregnant and then she--"

"Shhh! Not every HAF reader has read Allegiant! Anyway, what is it?"

"What the heck is--nevermind. Read this," he says, sliding the city newspaper to me.

"Just because we're bookworms doesn't mean we have to read the city newspap--"

"Read the dam paper."

"Okay, okay."

I flip the paper over and stare at the page as the two puzzle pieces click in place: There was a flash that day. A picture of Brayden and I, reading our story in front of the school is printed onto page five of The Paper.

A caption underneath our picture reads: Annabelle Fen and Brayden Snow: StarCross' bookworm and golden boy reading their award-winning story.

I look up. "Award-winning? It was English homework. And I am not particularly ecstatic with my description compared to yours."

He groans. "Just read it."

My eyes skim down the page. It is covered by the story we both wrote for English, about a week ago.

I turn the page:

Sixteen-year old Annabelle Fen and Seventeen-year old Brayden Snow, both excelling students of StarCross academy, have written--what started out as a simple English assignment--but now a heart warming, mayor approved story of beauty and love.

"Story of beauty?" I cringe. "Who wrote this?"

"I don't know. Some journalist. Anyway, you're missing the point! Our story is mayor approved and heart warming."

I laugh. Brayden's too new. He doesn't know that this happens all the time, that a StarCross student's work gets into the newspaper. The school likes to show us off.

I don't really want to take the smile off his face, though, so I don't mention that.

"This is pretty cool," I admit, though it is nothing compared to my Wattpad story. Again, I don't mention it.

He's fidgety and excited as he slides into the seat across from me. It's kind of cute.

Not in that way. More like a puppy.

"We should celebrate." This throws me off. Never did I think that Brayden would ever ask me to do such--such social things.

"Celebrate?" My eyebrows knit together as I awkwardly smile.

"Yeah, we should go on an adventure," he looks down. "I haven't been in the city yet..."

I snort, realizing his true intentions. "You want me to show you around? Don't you have load of people lining up to do that for you?"

He groans. "I'd rather not have a two dimensional person show me around."

"You know, I'm sure there are actually other nice people at this school. You make it seem like everyone is either a jerk or a slut. We're not all that bad."

"Well, if they exist, they should talk to me."

"Oh no," I sigh. "You really are a popular boy. Don't expect everyone to come to you. Sometimes you actually have to talk to other people, too, you mundane."

He pulls his hand through his hair. "Are you going to show me around the city or not?"

"I know you're trying to change the topic. But sure, why not?"

❤️❤️❤️

I lean against Brayden's car, scrolling through my news feed on wattpad on my phone.

He's late.

We agreed to meet at his car ten minutes ago, but I'm still waiting. It makes me wonder why I agreed in the first place.

I still have no idea, but I straighten up when he appears around the corner of the building, jogging. I face him with an eyebrow raised.

"Where have you been?" I ask.

He laughs, unlocking the car. "Narnia."

I get in the car, not bothering to push the subject. I want nothing to do with his golden boy life.

"You didn't even open the door for me. How rude."

"You didn't ask."

"Katniss didn't ask to be in the Hunger Games, but she still got in."

He starts driving, dismissing my comment . I tell him where to turn and exit.

"So where are we starting? The mall?"

"I'm impressed. I didn't think you'd know where the mall was."

I scoff. "Pansycake. The mall has food and Hot Topic."

He raises an eyebrow.

"Yes, they have a large bookstore as well."

"The mall it is," he says as we drive past the 'Welcome to downtown Mistrose' sign.

❤️❤️❤️

I'm not sure if I was clear enough, but the students actually live in the school so that's why Brayden hasn't been out yet. And btw mistrose is just some random name from a city generator LOL not a real place!!

ooookay sorry for updating late BUT its still sunday so technically this isnt late!

wow much filler huh

buuuuuuuut next chapter involves lots of brayden/anna action yay woohoo!! ooo guys make them a ship name omg.

sooo i changed all the chapter names and i dont know if it notifies you guys but im sorry if it did LOL. now theyre all going to start with "he" aka brayden so um ye lets see where this goes

OHOHOH AND GUYS THANKS FOR 600 READS YOURE ALL FANTABULOUS K ILY BYE.

-jubes