He Screws Around

"Hey, Fen! Before I forget, why was Brayden with Callie today? Isn't he usually in the library with you?"

I freeze. Spin around. March up, so close to Luke that I can feel his body heat. So many things are wrong with that sentence that I can't even begin to explain the feelings I'm feeling.

Honestly, the problems Brayden Snow causes. Am I right or am I right?

"First of all," I start slowly. "why an how do you know that Brayden is usually in the library with me?"

"Little Fennabelle, the same reason I knew your birthday that day."

My blood runs cold. I take a step back. "Luke, are you some crazy stalker? Wait, a fallen angel? Hush, don't tell me. I don't wanna know."

He grabs my shoulder with one hand and tilts my chin up with the other. I get an uncomfortable chill from the contact.

"You're an idiot, Annabelle. Do you even remember my last name?"

"Hemmings?"

Luke looks off into the distance. "I wish."

"Doesn't everyone?"

"My last name is Fay. F-A-Y."

"Okay?"

"You're an idiot. What's the principal's name, Fen?"

"Ms. Fay-," I pause mid-sentence, "oh."

"Right. My mother. Which means I have access to everyone's files. And to all of StarCross' surveillance tapes-including the one in the library."

"You are a creep. Why would you go into student files to find my birthday? And watch tapes of me?" I shiver and back away.

"You. Are. An. Idiot. I was simply organizing files for my mom. And helping out in the computer room. Sometimes, you just happen to see things, okay? I'm not obsessed with you, unlike how you're obsessed with me."

"What? How am I obsessed with you?"

"Because, what is this-the fiftieth time you've bumped into me? You certainly like touching me-"

"Stop right there. I don't have the patience for this."

"What, too obsessed with Brayden now? No more room for me in your heart?"

I ignore his comment. "Speaking of Brayden, what do you mean he was with Callie today?"

Luke only smirks, grabs my wrist and pulls me in the direction of the cafeteria. I try to jerk my arm back, but his long fingers wrap completely around my wrist and pull me forward.

"Don't reject. Come on, I just want to show you something."

"Is this really necessary?"

"Incredibly."

Unattractively I groan, jogging to keep up with Luke's unbelievably long legs.

Luke stops abruptly in front of the cafeteria doors, causing me to trip over his legs and almost fall over. I straighten up again before I attract attention.

"Klutz."

"Noodle," I retort.

"What does that even mean?"

I shrug, and he rolls his eyes.

Luke leans to look into the cafeteria briefly, mumbling something that sounds like, "yeah, they're still there..."

He turns back to me. "Take a look for yourself."

I raise an eyebrow at Luke skeptically before taking a peek inside, perplexed. "Luke, I don't see anythi-" I cut off abruptly when I see it.