F O U R

"Won't we get in trouble?" Luna whispered as they crept through the halls. They slipped out into the field that stretched down into the forbidden forest.

"Not if we don't get caught," Honey said, laughing and pulling Luna over to a large boulder where they couldn't be seen by passing teachers. They sat down facing a small pond, probably the result of a storm that would soon evaporate back into the clouds.  Honey leaned over and looked into the murky water, searching for small tadpoles or frogs. She glanced quickly at her reflection, then looked again. Something wasn't right. The face that stared back at her had no eyes, and where her content smile had been was now a wide grimace, adorned with jagged teeth. Her wild hair had somehow grown even more twisted and tangled with thorns and sticks knotted through it. 

Honey gasped, jumping back in shock. Luna dropped her daisy chain and moved to Honey's side. 

"What happened?" She asked frantically, watching her friend shake on the ground in front of her. 

"It-it was me," Honey whispered, eyes wide. 

"What do you mean? Of course it was you," Luna let out a nervous laugh and placed her hand on Honey's shoulder. 

"It was me but I was...broken. It was like I was pulled straight from Hell," Honey sat up, still shaking. 

Luna crawled towards the water, peering in. 

"I can't see anything odd about my reflection," Luna seemed to be deep in thought. "Perhaps it was the Eelies, they like playing tricks like that," Luna tried to convince herself this was the case, but it seemed a far-fetched idea, even for her. Honey nodded slowly, happy for the simple explanation offered up for her. 

"I think the class is finished now, we should start walking back," She said, standing up slowly. Luna scrambled up after her, grabbing her hand to make sure she wouldn't fall. They walked like that, hand in hand, back through the field. 

"Has the little fag got a girlfriend?" A sharp voice called out from behind them. Luna froze, turning around slowly. Two girls, a Ravenclaw and a Gryffindor, leaned against a large oak tree, sneering at Luna and Honey.

As calmly as she could, Luna replied, "I don't really think that's any of your business, Sadie," Her voice came out high and shaky, and Honey squeezed her hand a bit harder. The Gryffindor, Sadie, stepped forward, striding quickly up to the girls. 

"It's my business if I say it is you fucking lousy cunt," She snapped, her hand turning into a ball. 

Honey noticed this quickly, so she let go of Luna's hand and shoved Sadie back. 

"Get the fuck away from my friend," She growled, turning her own hands into fists. 

"Alright, have it your way then," Sadie charged forward, swinging her fist forward. Honey ducked, kicking Sadie in the shins. 

It felt like a fire had ripped through her soul and Honey jumped kicked Sadie down, straddling her and punching her again and again and again and again until someone's arms were around her shoulders and pulling her away. She saw flashes of red on the grass and her hands, saw Luna's face then a professor's then nothing. 

"Honey? Are you there?" A frantic voice whispered. Honey's eyes snapped open and she looked around wildly. 

"Wh-where am I?" Her vision focused and she saw Luna and Madam Pomfrey looking over her, Luna with avid concern and Pomfrey with distaste, and almost boredom. 

"She's awake!" Luna cried, embracing Honey warmly. 

"And just in time for your detention, too," Madam Pomfrey looked at the clock. 

"Miss Lovegood, head to your common room. Miss Bradbury, you're expected in the library for an hour of detention, every day for a week, starting in ten minutes," 

Honey glanced at the clock, 6:49 PM. She had missed the rest of the school day and dinner. Her stomach growled with disappointment. 

Luna and Honey walked out of the infirmary together, and Luna grabbed Honey's hand. 

"Go back to that boulder after you're done with detention." She whispered in Honey's ear, then let go of her hand and left so fast she seemed to have almost apparated. Honey sighed and walked through the deserted halls and found her way to the library where Madam Pince stood with a trolley of books behind her. She saw Sadie already placing books on shelves. 

Honey walked towards the second trolley, looking up at Madam Pince, who simply nodded at her. The instructions were clear. 

After an hour of tedious shelving and stacking, the girls were let out of the library and were instructed to go straight back to their dorm rooms. 

"How about we just pretend we never met each other and I'll leave your little girlfriend alone, yeah?" Sadie said as soon as the library door shut behind them. 

"Tell that to your 'little girlfriend' too, yeah?" Honey replied, mimicking Sadie. 

"She's not my- nevermind, fine," Sadie stuck out her hand. Honey glanced at it, turning away. 

"Just stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours. No need for formalities,"  She walked quickly away, keen to loose Sadie so she could head out to the boulder. She walked outside,  the cool air a welcome change from the uncomfortably warm library. 

Walking down the hill, she saw a form sitting on top of the boulder, outlined in silver moonlight. 

Without even registering it, Honey had begun to jog, reaching the boulder and leaning against its sturdy structure. She looked up at Luna, who offered her a hand and grasped it, clambering up. 

They sat in silence, staring at the bright full moon in front of them. They had both forgotten to stop holding the other's hand. 

Suddenly, Luna turned to face Honey. 

"My father always said my mother was his moonbeam- the one thing that made everything bright, even at night, and that everyone had their own moonbeam,"

"That's beautiful," Honey replied, not really sure what else to say. 

"I was just thinking, I think you might be my moonbeam, Honey,"