O N E

she smells like lemongrass & sleep

she tastes like apple juice & peach

oh, you would find her

in a polaroid picture

- dodie clark

~ ~ ~

Honey used to hate her name more than anything else. 

The nicknames, the teasing, and the confusion that came with it were just too much for her as a younger kid, but then she found out people thought unique names were cute, and she decided she was ok with it. Mostly. 

Her mother tended to take nicknames too far. Of course, there were the names to be expected, like honeypot, honey bear, bee, honey bee, but then there were the weirder, far more embarrassing ones, like-

"Pooh bear!" Honey's mother sang, waltzing into her daughter's room. Today, she was dressed in denim overalls and a tie dyed shirt, which was on the low end of the spectrum of Harmony's excessive amount of hippie clothing. A stark contrast to her daughter's Nirvana and Green Day shirts. Which was the first thing Harmony decided to point out when she saw Honey sitting in her "grunge" clothing. 

"I thought Hufflepuffs were supposed to dress cute." Honey's mother sighed, looking her daughter over. 

"There isn't a dress code outside of school." Honey replied. 

"I just wish your clothes weren't so... dark." 

"Luckily, you don't have to see me for most of the year."

"Baby, don't remind me." 

Honey smiled, standing and picking up her trunk. As much as she hated to admit it sometimes, her mum was definitely her best friend, if not her only friend. 

"I made you granola and there are some organic muffins in a container for the journey." Harmony was practically bouncing up and down in excitement. 

"Thank you mum." Honey hugged her mother before they both walked downstairs into the kitchen. 

"I'm so excited for you!" Harmony squealed, thrusting a container of muffins into her daughter's arms. 

"I know, mum." 

---

The station was bustling, as always, and Honey stood in the middle of it all, cat under her arm and trunk at her feet. She scanned the crowd to make sure nobody was watching, picked up her trunk, and started running into a wall. Once she got through said wall, specifically platform nine and three quarters, she looked around at the families milling about, saying goodbye to their children. Honey's mum stayed at home as always, but there was an extensive goodbye ceremony before Honey left in her taxi. So now, standing outside the Hogwarts Express, she was one of the only students without a family. As usual. She knew her mother didn't feel comfortable being around so many people that were all so different from her, and she was used to it, but sometimes it did sink in that she looked like a really big loner. Which she was, but still. 

Honey glanced around at the kids milling about. Of course, there were recognizable faces like Hermione, Draco, Neville, and a couple others that Honey knew by name, as well as some absolute bitches who'd ditched her when they decided Honey was too annoying. 

She walked towards the shiny red train, knowing she'd have to sit with some first years who happen to have an empty spot. Climbing onto the train, she realized that since she was actually quite early she might have the chance of actually sitting next to someone half decent. She quickly slipped into an empty area, hoisting her trunk in the overhead area. Her cat, Summer, (A/N @summersromance will get the reference hopefully) was still in her cage, so Honey closed the door and let her whining kitten out of her little prison. Summer automatically tripped on the seat and rolled into the train window, where she stopped with a thud. Honey giggled, picking her cat up and stroking her soft, golden fur. Summer purred, opening her mouth and sticking her tongue out, making her look stupidly adorable. 

"What's her name?" A soft, delicate voice asked, and Honey looked up to see a gorgeous girl with pale skin and hair so light it was almost white. She had a slight Irish accent, but it was tender and soft unlike many others Honey had heard. Quite a contrast to Honey's strong London accent. 

"Uh, Summer." Honey was caught quite off guard by the girl, so it took her a second to remember what the question was. 

"And yours."

"Honey. What about you?"

"Honey... I love that name. It's perfect for you. I'm Luna."  Luna gave a small smile before sitting down across from Honey. 

"Is it ok if I sit here?" Luna asked, even though she was already sitting down, which Honey desperately wanted to point out. 

"Yes, that's fine." Honey said instead. 

"Thank you." Luna pulled out a sketchbook and started gazing at what looked like absolutely nothing. 

"What are you drawing?" Honey asked.

"Can you not see the dust faeries? They're absolutely stunning." Luna replied, without breaking contact with the grey floor. 

"I can't. Tell me about them." Honey wasn't saying this to be condescending, like she would if some little kid told her they were drawing dust faeries. She could see in Luna's eyes there really was something beautiful on that floor, and maybe everyone else was just too blind to notice it. 

~~~

gAaAy

alright well I'm sick today which means I've had a lot of time to write, and not gonna lie I really fucking love Honey with all my heart. Anyway I hope you love her as much as I do and yeah! Have a great day/night!

- Moth