Part 7

The comforting smell of burning marijuana filled your nose as you lit the joint in your hand. The sunlight shone perfectly against your skin, warming you slightly against the still air. You could hear the boy beside you sigh as he stretched his arms out, smiling brightly at the scenery before him. It was Jean's idea to go out and smoke for a bit, he knew that if he didn't do anything you would have locked yourself up in your room every day aside from attending class- and he was right. It had been a week since you were there last, and since you saw the person who you considered to be your best friend. After that night you texted him an embarrassing amount of times. You initially tried acting like nothing happened that night, hoping that he would play along and things could go back to the way they were. You even cursed him out, telling him that he was being an asshole and that you didn't deserve the way he was treating you. You hoped that maybe that would receive at least some sort of reaction from him but it didn't. Realizing that he wasn't planning on speaking to you regardless of what you said, you had finally given up. Whatever Connie was dealing with he clearly had to figure out on his own, and you had to come to terms with that.

    You inhaled the smoke and held your breath for a moment, dropping your head and resting your forehead on the railing as you let out a long exhale. You almost didn't agree to go see Jean because you worried that if you did you would bump into Connie in the process, and you didn't know if you were ready for that confrontation yet. The brunette assured you that you wouldn't- because even he hadn't seen or heard much from his roommate in the past week either.

    "I have to tell you something." You lifted your head and turned to look at your friend who stood beside you, waiting for what he had to say. "I spoke to Historia the other day."

    You could feel your stomach for reasons unknown. Your intuition was never wrong, and it was telling you that you didn't want to hear what he was about to say. Taking another pull from the joint you nodded slowly to yourself, bracing yourself for whatever he was getting ready to tell you.

"Go on."

"He's been hanging out with Sasha again." He paused, watching your face for a reaction to see if he should continue with what he was saying. Your face was expressionless, almost as if you didn't hear him at all. You continued nodding in response, assuming that wasn't the worst of what he had to tell you. "That night at the party, after you left....they were both mia for a while, y/n."

Putting the two pieces of information together you hummed in response, taking yet another pull from your joint. Of course he didn't tell you the whole truth that night. You weren't surprised if you were being completely honest with yourself. You had a bad habit of romanticizing people, only seeing them as the version of themselves that you've created in your head- and Connie had it the worst.

"I just don't get why he thinks he can't just talk to me. That's all I want." You replied honestly. If anything hurt you out of all of the things that he's done recently, it was the fact that he was shutting you out again.

"I think he doesn't trust himself around you." You rose your eyebrows, making a face at him as you waited for him to explain what he meant by that. "I don't know, I just have a feeling. I haven't spoken to him much so I personally wouldn't know. If you want to handle it though his class ends soon so he'll be here within the next hour or so."

"You told me he wasn't gonna be hanging around."

"He isn't, he hasn't been here the whole time you've been around, right? If you don't confront him in person I don't think you'll ever hear from him again."

You knew he was being honest, and you knew it killed him to keep things from you. Jean had never been the type to keep secrets from you, in his eyes you were almost like a sister to him and all he wanted was to see you happy. There were only two options for you at this point. You could leave now and not have to deal with Connie, at least not today while you were completely blindsided by all of the news Jean relayed to you. Or, you could stay and wait for your best friend to arrive and force the confrontation out of him- which could either fix or ruin your friendship depending on how it went. Both of the options seemed far from satisfactory since they both would essentially ruin your friendship, and it made you wonder had the friendship reached its expiration date? Part of you figured that this moment was bound to come, since you were 14 you knew there would be a day where he would no longer be in your life. You just didn't know when. The wind blew harder against your skin and you felt goosebumps appear all over your arms and you instantly thought of when Connie lent you his sweater. It almost gave you whiplash thinking about how things made a complete 180 degree turn in just the span of a week. 15 years of friendship compromised in 7 days. The thought made you laugh bitterly out loud to yourself, and you could feel Jean shoot you that pathetic look he seemed to reserve specifically for you lately.