21。the party

thank u phee2k for writing basically all of this chapter with just 3 lines of my notes!! ur amazing <3
。。。

never in his life did akaashi keiji think that he'd be patient enough for someone like bokuto koutarou.

never in his life did he think of defying-not simply ignoring, but going specifically against-family for a man he'd only met a couple months ago.

never did he think he could trust someone so much that lying, or being lied to, would never cross his mind.

never did he think that it was possible to get so much enjoyment from people he barely knew.

and yet here he was, cheering "happy birthday!" as everyone raises their glasses to clink together. they all watch when kyotani puts his chin up to chug down his drink.

"ken-tar-ou! ken-tar-ou! ken-tar-ou!" the crowd chants, a bunch of flushed faces screaming with admiration. kyotani slams the empty bottle down and roars, getting more cheers from everyone.

one particularly loud laugh catches akaashi's attention. over in the corner, chugging more beers than kyotani, stands a man with pitch black hair and a smirk.

the smirk turns into a surprised face, then a mischievous one as he waves akaashi over. hesitantly, he sets his cup down and walks up to whoever this guy is.

"the famous akaashi keiji! i've been hearing all about you."

"ah, from whom?"

"bokuto, of course. he talks about you all the time. i've never seen my best friend be so invested in getting gifts for people. he's always been confident about his flowers, but now i see him double checking the meanings on every website he can find!"

so they do mean something, and it's not just a coincidence? "oh, that's interesting. sorry, but have we met before?"

"no sir. i'm kuroo tetsurou, your local chef."

another voice calls out from across the room. "oi! shut up, you're no chef!"

kuroo whips his head around and yells back, "at least i'm better than you, cry about it terushima!"

"do you, by any chance know where bokuto is?" akaashi interrupts.

"oh i think he had to get something, or perhaps he was looking for you? i didn't pay much attention."

"oh well thanks," akaashi's voice fades, quickly checking his phone, hoping he would've gotten a message or such.

"speaking of bokuto," kuroo springs the conversation back up, talking about how he had been surprised him and bokuto had managed to get close with each other. their personalities contrasted from each other. bokuto seemed like a more outgoing person, life of the party, while akaashi didn't seem like the one to enjoy social events, or would easily get exhausted. it even came to him as a surprise when he started to cheer with them.

kuroo continues to talk more about bokuto, surprisingly bokuto didn't have many friends, just a few people around town. the friends he's had, often distanced away from him for different reasons, which discouraged him from letting himself out often trying to keep a simple composure. he had never had someone who kept him engaged or wanting to do more, someone different who he had suddenly taken an interest to. akaashi was the one out of many chances.

akaashi listens attentively, many thoughts racing into his head. he has questioned some things but never focuses on them, though he's slowly come to realize thinking about his few interactions with bokuto. how bokuto's expression would change when akaashi came around, or how bokuto would always do many things for akaashi even going further to explain the meaning of every flower and finding ones to describe akaashi with.

in the midst of his thoughts, bokuto rushes into the restaurant. akaashi flushes a light red walking towards him and away from kuroo.

"I'm so sorry I had to work in extra at the shop," bokuto pants.

"oh, that's fine, no need to say sorry to me." akaashi replies. the two go to a table and talk for a bit, still able to hear each other over the loud roaring and celebrating. why is akaashi here? it's not something that really suites his personality, but he pushed through all of it for this one person. this man that made akaashi feel something so indescribable. lovestruck. a man he hears so much about and even kept mental notes of what to do and what not.

the two continue to talk, not noticing kuroo standing there in front of them.

"and you two aren't dating?" kuroo smirks, making the two flush a bright red. he gestures for bokuto to come over. bokuto looks at akaashi, who nods for him to go. bokuto walks away while akaashi fondles with his phone.

bokuto and kuroo wander far off to a corner out of akaashi's view.

"you should really tell him you like him," kuroo says, smirking again.

"when the time is right," bokuto replies.

"bullshit, you two obviously head over heels for each other. you know it. i know it. he probably does too. and I'm pretty sure half of the people in this room know it too," kuroo says, frowning.

"dude i will, i will."

"just don't fuck it up. honestly, he doesn't seem like the type to just leave you. i can tell he really likes you," kuroo smiles.

they go on about akaashi and other things. a while later, bokuto goes back to akaashi.

about two hours later, everyone starts heading home, and bokuto goes back to talk to kuroo some more before the two departed their ways. then he walks over to akaashi and offers to take him home.

it's dark outside, with a few lamposts and store lights shining on the street. the two are walking on the sidewalk, akaashi laughing his heart out as bokuto kept trying to attempt some corny puns.

"hey! they're not that bad," bokuto says, crossing his arms and pouting.

"you literally got confused by your own joke," akaashi says, holding back more chuckles. bokuto continues to bicker and whine as akaashi just giggles.

"do you have a favorite flower?" akaashi asks.

"honestly, i don't think i do. i like all the flowers, bright or dull or whatever scent they hold. they all have different meanings and represent different things. that's one thing i like about flowers."

"that's nice," akaashi says, smiling. before the two even notice, they're already at akaashi's door. akaashi takes out his keys, fumbling with them before eventually unlocking the door. he turns around to meet bokuto's gaze.

"thank you for accompanying me," he says.

"my pleasure," bokuto replies. "goodnight akaashi."

"goodnight bokuto-san," he says, giving him a faint smile before closing the door.

akaashi turns back around, looking at his lavender-scented home. he takes off his coat, laying it on the side of his couch. he goes up to his window, looking at bokuto, who catches his gaze and waves at him with a warm smile.

。。。
1.15k :)