prologue

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

    "guys!" lip called from the living room. "the movie's starting. come on!"

     the other gallagher siblings, who had been convened in the kitchen, obliged to lip's request and gathered on the living room furniture. as to let her younger siblings hog the couch, phoebe sat on the ground in front of lip's chair, leaning back on his legs.

      as the group settled in, a loud commotion came from the front entrance of the house, and the gallaghers turned to see their next door neighbors, kev and v, along with a tall boy they didn't recognize. he seemed to be about lip's age, with shaggy brunette hair and a smokey black eye.

    "what is up, gallaghers?" kev shouted as he handed a cardboard box full of beers to fiona. "sorry we're late, had to show the nephew around." kev pointed at the young man that had come in with them.

    lip chuckled, "i didn't know you had a nephew."

    "well, i didn't either until i get a phone call from my sister and this kid shows up on our doorstep," kev explained. "apparently he's been getting into too much trouble in jersey lately, so his parents sent him here and took off to the bahamas for a year-long vacation."

    veronica nodded, before deciding to introduce him to everyone. "so um, everybody, this is theodore, aka teddy. and, teddy, this is the gallaghers. that's debbie and carl," she pointed at the youngest siblings who sat on the couch. teddy slightly lifted his hand into a small wave, which just earned a nod from carl.

veronica looked at the oldest siblings next, "that's fiona and lip." v then turned to the twins. "and those are the twins, ian and phoebe."

once phoebe's name left veronica's mouth, teddy looked directly at her, where he was met with a soft smile and a friendly wave. he awkwardly smiled back, lifting the small scar on his lip while doing so.

"well, um, it's nice to meet you teddy," lip stood up and shook his hand. "how old are you?"

"i'm seventeen," he replied, shaking the blonde boy's hand.

"same here."

    after a few more minutes of small talk and getting to know teddy, phoebe had gathered a few things about the boy:

    1. he had a rebellious streak; that's why he was there.
    2. he was in the same grade as lip, and phoebe knew that they would be best friends. she could already tell.
    3. he was kevin's nephew on his mother's side, so his last name was becker, not ball.
    4.  he would be staying with kev and v next door and  going to school with the kids until further notice.
    5. he was pretty quiet, so it would probably take a while for the boy to open up.

    after the movie ended, everyone was talking amongst themselves. phoebe had moved away from lip's chair and was now in the kitchen, pouring herself a glass of water.

    "hey," teddy said from the doorway, making phoebe almost choke on her water.

    "oh my god, you can't scare me like that. damn," the young girl held her hand to her chest, as to slow down her breathing.

     he chuckled in response, "sorry."

    she smiled and laughed it off. "you're fine. so, um, how do you like chicago so far?"

    he sighed, leaning on the wall near the washing machine. "it's not too bad. less rats than jersey."

    phoebe scrunched of her nose at the thought, glad that there were, in fact, less rats here. "well, kev and v are great, and i think they're happy to have you."

    "i hope so," he smirked, "i'm thinking i want to stay for a while."

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»