Chapter 46

Trigger Warning: Suicide

You, Emily and Derek were talking quietly as you all headed out of the Federal Building. The three of you were the first to leave, all headed to Homeland Security.

The drive was quiet, each of your separate anxieties filling your minds. The only noise was the quiet chatter coming from the police radio.

As you were nearing the Homeland office, you finally broke the silence, "What are the protocols for Homeland? What do we need to tell them first and foremost?"

"First off, they need to know about the threat. We need to take them quickly through the profile, give them our extensive background that led to the conclusion, and then they'll send a notice to POTUS." Emily answered from the passenger seat.

You were about to ask another question, but the police radio cut you off.

NYPD Radio, 7:48: "We have reports of an explosion near Federal Plaza, all available units respond."

"Did they just say explosion?" Derek questioned, turning the dial up on the radio.

The car went silent as the three of you waited for the next update. You never know that three minutes could feel so long.

NYPD Radio, 7:51 pm: We need Bomb Squad and SWAT units to report to the Federal Building.

"Oh god." Emily sighed and you felt your anxiety bubble up to the back of your throat.

"Aaron was at the Federal Building." You quietly said from the back of the car.

At your words, Derek slammed on the breaks and turned hard. The turn sent you and Emily into the side of the car with yelps, "What the hell, Derek?"

He turned to face Emily for a moment, "There was just a bomb set off in the Federal Plaza, we need to get back."

"Right." She nodded, watching him turn the lights and sirens on.

NYPD Radio, 7:55 pm: The explosion was located on the West Corner of the Federal Building. A Federal SUV was at the source. Unknow how many casualties. All available units respond.

You felt your stomach sink, "Oh god, Aaron."

"Y/n there are tons of Federal SUVs at the Federal Building, not only FBI agents are driving them tonight." Emily tried to reassure you.

You nodded with a shaky breath, "We need to call someone."

Right on cue, Derek's phone started to ring.

"Garcia." Derek answered, listening for a moment, "Yeah. I'm still here. I've got y/n and Emily with me now."

"I'm almost back at the Federal Building. What the hell's going on?" He asked, handing the phone to Emily and she put it on speaker phone.

"All right, we're going over the closed circuit footage right now." Penelope's oddly calm voice rang through the car.

"Who else have you checked on?" Emily leaned into the phone to speak.

Penelope was cut off by the police radio.

NYPD Radio, 8:03 pm: We have orders to maintain a border around the blast zone. No one goes in until the blast site is cleared.

She answered after the radio stopped., "You're the first. Rossi and Reid called me."

"All right, well, keep us on the line while you check on everyone else." You said from the back of the car.

"I just tried JJ, she's not responding." She had tried JJ on a separate line.

"Try again." Emily told her shortly.